05/10/2010, The latest Update
Today is Monday and if the rumors are true we will find out the status of our offer on "SV Hugeness" as we have dubbed her. We were told that we would know last Friday, then Saturday, and now it's today. Some of the delay is that we are in Mexico and some of the delay results from the fact that the current owners of the boat are currently separated and living back in the US. So each time an offer or counter offer gets made, two people have to be reached, which slows things down. I guess it would have went much faster if we would have just offered the asking price, but then again we would have much more money to buy sand paper and varnish if we get her for less than the asking price!
As soon as we know something....I'll make a quick post to keep all our friends and family updated. So hang in there with us for the suspense!
Once our offer is accepted, unfortunately that isn't the end of the buying process. We then will schedule surveys to have the boat inspected to make sure there are no hidden problems or issues. The entire boat, engine, and rigging will be scrutinized by three different "experts" while we look over their shoulders and then we will take the boat out of the harbor for a test sail/motor. Our offer is contingent upon not finding any disasters during the survey process and if we do, we can either "adjust our offer downward" to reflect the problems we have found or back out of the deal all together. So the offer acceptance stage is just the first step in the boat buying process, which could take a week or two to complete. Oh and the good news is that hurricane season begins in 5 days, so that's a nice clock ticking in the back of our minds as we sit here in the hurricane zone trying to buy a bigger boat!
These two photos may help explain why we like this potential new boat, which is a 1979 Hudson Force 50. If you have seen the movie "Captain Ron" this is the same boat Boss.
Here's a photo of "My Office" looking to Starboard:
And here's a photo of "My Office" looking to Port:
|Mid-Cruise Boat Swap||
05/07/2010, or just another Day in the Cruise of THIRD DAY
Although we still don't know our future as of 0800hrs this Friday morning, we do know the dreaded 8 letter word: projects. Our first offer wasn't accepted, so we came up a little bit and told them that was our final offer and that either way we will be sailing away into the Sea of Cortez for the summer, on our current boat or the new boat. We are using our waiting time here in Singlar marina to repaint our toe rail, varnish all the teak trim in the head and v-berth, and knock out several other boat projects. We will either enjoy the beautification efforts ourselves if we don't end up getting the larger boat or the new owner of THIRD DAY will have a few less things on their project list.
In not "needing" a new boat at the moment we are not the ideal buyer from the boat brokers perspective, because the normal sales games and pressure tactics don't work on us. That "gotta-have-it" frenzy just doesn't exist since we already have a boat and are having a fabulous time out cruising. I suspect that we will know the final outcome if not later today by Monday at the latest. It's strange to have the feeling of mild ambivalence over such a major decision but getting the boat creates enough headaches (financially and to our cruise plans) that in many ways it would be a relief to have our second low offer turned down as well. I'm sure the boat could be worth the full or near asking price to someone, but to us, it simply isn't worth the full asking price even if we had the money.
A common question we have always been asked is how a family of four can comfortably live on a 36ft boat and the answer still holds true. It's easy. We have no boat payment; we get along well as a family, and with the Pacific Coast of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez as our backyard, who wants to stay aboard the boat! It's been a little challenging lately to try and explain to our friends why we were even looking at a larger boat and I think the assumption is that after two years on THIRD DAY we have finally started bouncing off the walls and decided we needed more space. However, that's not it. We could cruise for another 2yrs on THIRD DAY and be perfectly happy. She's completely fixed up, looking as pretty as she can, and set up exactly to our liking. A larger boat isn't a boat purchase for us to continue cruising, but a boat purchase looking towards the end of our cruise. Something we can live-aboard for the long term, in short a house that happens to float.
Out here in the cruising community, it's just as taboo to talk and plan for the end of your cruise as it is to talk about going cruising in the first place! Just as non-cruisers (dirt dwellers) view living ashore as the only way live, many cruisers have the opposite view that you can only truly be happy and enjoy life by living on a boat. In fact, the view seems to be that no matter how long you were out here cruising, you somehow "failed" at cruising when you return. This Cruises Failure Syndrome or CFS, as I call it, runs deep and is a bit strange and hard to understand coming from a community that seems to price itself on not having the need to conform and follow prevailing conventional wisdom.
|Mid-Cruise Boat Swap||
05/05/2010, living in limbo
I was not really up to Rich's speed when he said that he was considering buying a bigger boat. I have come to know and love THIRD DAY. She has taken care of us well. From squalls and hurricane watches to nice calm anchorages she has been there for us and done what we have asked of her. Now, what do we do? It is a rather heart wrenching to think that we may be leaving her in the care of someone else. She may not be the fastest or the youngest girl at the dance but she is solid, trust worthy, and easy enough for me to handle. As I was sanding the teak in the head (bathroom) today, I was considering our future. What will we do? At this point the page is still blank. Plans/thoughts are being floated around but nothing solid has been written down. It feels like I am on a roller coaster. One minute, I am wanting a bigger boat so we will have more growing room and the next minute I like the comfort of knowing this boat and the fact that she can handle more than we can. Hurricane season is coming quickly and I do not know what the new/bigger boat will do or how it will handle. I know that THIRD DAY would go thru anything just fine. So I sat on the toilet looking at the teak that I have been sanding and thinking that it will look beautiful when I have it all varnished. Either I will get to enjoy it or someone else will, but the job will be done. The sign above the toilet that Amy made says "Don't worry, Pee happy". I will sing that song to myself while I wait on pins and needles to see what happens next in this crazy boat saga.
|Mid-Cruise Boat Swap||