SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

Cruise Rumor #39-#42

28 July 2011 | Why Not to Believe the Experts!
Capt Rich
At time I get the feeling that I'm living in an alternate universe where up is down, left is right, and hot is cold? I should have learned by now, but like most people I still get sucked into the conventional Cruise Rumors de jour. In our 3 years of cruising Mexico, we have heard it all. We were told everything from you couldn't get groceries or propane up in the Bay of Los Angeles, to the water temperature was going to be 100 degrees. The story was that La Paz was miserably hot in the summers (I'm wearing a sweatshirt this morning at 10AM). Then there was the story that you can't take your boat to Puerto Penasco because the marina dries out from the high tidal swings. You name the conventional wisdom myth or Cruise Rumor and we have heard it. It's funny that a group of people who found a way to break away from the myth of it somehow being more dangerous in Mexico than in the US would be so quick to fall into another set of myths and rumors spread by fellow cruisers. Is it because life is so good down here on a boat that we need something negative to talk about, something to worry about or something to avoid? I have no idea what gives these cruise rumors life, but once started they take on a life of their own and spread through the cruising fleet like a wild fire on the African grassland. A standard inspection by the Mexican navy (similar to ones done in the US by the Coast Guard) somehow morphs into a scary event by the 7th telling and barely resembles the actual event with the advice being given at the end of the story to not allow the Mexican Navy aboard your vessel.

Prior to casting off cruising most of us spent a significant amount of time on the various cruiser chat rooms and on-line forums. We asked for advice on everything from what boat makes a good cruising boat, to what's the best way to can butter and what do people do to ward off pirates. I still enjoy visiting such forums, but I don't participate as much because most of the people on those sites, at least the ones typically first with all the detailed "advice", frankly don't have a clue. Ask a question about a marine head repair and soon to follow will be advice to toss out your marine head and use a bucket. Ask about the visa procedure in Mexico and you will hear more rumor than fact. Ask for the best anchor of course, and you just started a Holy War.

So if there are so many Cruising Rumors out there and bogus information floating around how do you figure things out? How do you prepare and plan for a cruise and then decide where to go and what to do while out cruising if you can't trust the experts? The only real way to prepare for a cruise is to have done it. I know that sounds crazy, but only your experiences will be able to tell you concretely for YOU what you need to know. That could be you spending time aboard your boat prior to casting off or that could be your first 3 years in Mexico, like it was for us. The truth is no "How to Cruise" book or magazine or even all the good-intentioned-arm-chaired-cruisers posting in the on-line forums will be able to tell you what will work for YOU rather than what worked for them. I can tell you that we comfortably cruise now on $1000 month, but ask the same question of other cruisers and they could possibly tell you that they would be in misery on anything less than $2500 or even $3000. We could tell you that our best time cruising was during the summer up in the Northern Sea of Cortez, yet we have meet cruisers who after spending only a few weeks up there, turned around and headed back south swearing never to return (a coincidence that there are no marina's with shore power up there? perhaps). Their post about the Northern Sea on a cruiser forum would look a lot different than ours! So far the summer in La Paz has been a dream, weather and temperature wise, and we were told we would die from heat and be completely miserable when we told others of our summer home.

We have seen boats comfortably cruising Mexico that the experts would tell you were not fit for "blue water cruising", the famous catch phrase of the internet cruiser. Long essays are written about the true seaworthy vessels one must have to go cruising or you risk not just your comfort but your very lives. More potential cruisers haven't made it to Mexico because they don't have what the experts say is the right boat or the right gear than have ever suffered the fate promised to those that didn't cast off in the right "Blue Water Yacht".

Forget about the "Cruising Boat of the Year" with the 3 page photo spread in Cruising World magazine, I don't see those boats out here cruising anyway. What I do see are cruisers with boats and cruising plans that the experts say won't work and shouldn't be done. I shouldn't be anchored in the La Paz Bay at the end of July because:

A) it's hurricane season
B) I'll be dead from heat and
C) Everyone knows that the prime cruising season in the Sea of Cortez is in the winter when the water is too cold to really enjoy and every anchorage is jammed packed by people doing it right!

I remember the song lyrics "if loving you is wrong, I don't want to do right". Well if the way we are cruising is wrong, then here's another vote for not wanting to do right! Of course, I could be singing a different tune if I'm looking up from the deck of THIRD DAY and see blue sky through the eye of a hurricane! Then all the experts perhaps would have been right and my insurance company who insured us for the summer in La Paz would have been wrong.
Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008