SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

Fuel Prices in Mexico

03 May 2012 | Common Q & A on the issue
Capt Rich
Since we just spent a budget staggering (for us anyway) $425 for 132.6 gallons of diesel and 7.2 gallons of gas, it seems like a good opportunity to try and demystify the Mexico Diesel and Gas situation and talk a little about two things every cruiser needs: Gas and Diesel.

A common question new cruisers have as they get ready to head South of the Boarder is about fuel: Diesel and Gas. Since the cost of diesel and gas in most West Coast US Marina's is oftentimes $0.75 to a full $1.00 above the prices you see at car and truck stations, the question of fuel costs in Mexico is an important cruising budget issue. There is also considerable confusion about just what the going rate for fuel in Mexico actually is on a per gallon basis since the confusion of selling gas and diesel in Liters rather than gallons is compounded by the varying fees added onto the purchase price at the pump and the dollar Peso exchange rate. The varying fees often lead to the standard "Cruise Rumor" of the local fuel dock "over charging" or trying to "take advantage" of the gringo cruisers. While it is true that certain fuel stations are known to "over meter" the fuel they sell, how else would 6.5 gallons of gas fit in a 5 gallon fuel can, it's not the norm, but still something to keep an eye out for.

All fuel prices for Gas and Diesel are set by the Mexican Government through their State owned Gas Company known as Pemex; however, different areas (or zones) of the Country have different fuel prices. Fuel in zones near the US border is priced higher for example.

If the Government sets the price for a liter of gas and diesel at the pump, then why do pay different prices from dock to dock? That is where the "Fees" come into play. Fuel docks add on a percentage of anywhere form 6% t0 20% depending on where they are and just how "captive" they have you when you need fuel. Now this is where it can get confusing. If you carry your fuel jugs to the floating dock, then you won't have to pay the extra "docking fee" but if you come and land at the dock in your dingy or with your boat...bingo...your fuel just got up to 20% more expensive.

This is where the beauty of San Blas, comes into play, because several hundred feet away from the Marina fuel dock is the concrete municipal dock that also fills cars and trucks. There is NO "docking fee" at the municipal dock so why would I go to the Marina fuel dock and pay 10% extra? That's taco money baby!

So to talk prices. Listed on the diesel and gas pump are:
$10.45P per Liter for Diesel
$10.09P per Liter for Gas
Or translated into US Dollars and gallons at a 13-1 exchange rate:
$3.05/Gallon for Diesel
$2.94/Gallon for Gas

THIRD DAY is "said to carry" 350 gallons of diesel, so in taking on 132 gallons we theoretically still had 218 gallons in our tanks. But here's the problem and why I say "said to carry". We have no diesel tank fuel gauge (most boats don't by the way) and we haven't ran the boat completely out of diesel to then be able to top it back off and actually verify this 350 number! Yes I know, we can keep track of engine hours and RPMs and then estimate how our 1/2 fill level by running out either the port or starboard fuel tank, but running a boats fuel tank dry is never high on anyone's "to do list", so the actual fuel tankage of the boat will continue to remain something of a little mystery. As long as we can motor from La Paz to Turtle Bay to fill up before going back to San Diego this July, then I'll be happy. Because at $3.05/gallon, you can bet we will be leaving Mexico with full fuel tanks before entering the States!

What about dirty fuel?
We have always filled our tanks using a Baja filter that separates out water and particulates. We have NEVER seen water in our fuel but have occasionally seen come particles and scum in the strainer and in the fuel can bottoms. So just to keep the fuel system happy (and to keep the engine from dying when we need it most) we always add a diesel fuel additive to kill bacteria each time we put diesel into the fuel tank. The type that actually dissolves their dead bodies is better than the kind that just kills them, because a dead bacteria body will clog a fuel filter just as well as a live bacteria body! Our approach still has us using our original fuel prefilters form when we brought this boat down to Mexico in August of 2010 after making the boat swap, so something must be working or we are lucky. But I've often said, I'd rather be lucky than good.


Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008