08/08/2012, Smoke-in along to San Quitin
After getting a good night rest listening to the Sea Lions bark at the North end anchorage of Cedros Island, we have been rewarded with a great day of motor sailing towards San Quintin. The seas and wind, while not entirely flat and on the beam, have been exactly what you hope for during a Baja Bash light and just enough off the port bow to be comfortable. Our entire little flotilla has been chatting back and forth today on the VHF about how we hope to have these conditions all the way up! At our current 5.5kts, we should make San Quintin sometime around 7-9AM and then rest for the day before continuing on and taking advantage of the nice weather.
No Fish today No Drama today Nothing Broke No one barffed today And we didn't hit anything hard tday So we call today a good day at sea.
08/07/2012, Example of our Daily Log while underway.
0922AM Whew...it was a rough start out of Turtle Bay this morning. First, while motoring out of the Bay we suddenly lost our engine oil pressure. We shut down quickly and floated while I first verified that the engine had oil (yes it full and clean) and then I found that the wire coming from the oil pressure gauge had been broken. I'm sure I must have smashed against it as I was checking the transmission fluid. Interesting how when checking one thing, you break another isn't it! So Jason and I pull out a new ring terminal from the electrical fitting bag, crimp it on and bingo we have 35lbs of oil pressure again...all is well, at least for another 30 minutes. We are not about 5 miles out of Turtle Bay when the comforting sound of the sea water cooling water in the exhaust goes away leaving just the sound of a 120Hp diesel engine...not nice. We had the Genoa out so Lori cuts the engine and back into the engine compartment we go to find out what's going on. What we found as a wad of kelp the size of Sigman the Seamonster in our sea water strainer, but even after I removed it, there was still no sea water flowing into the boat. I could feel a big piece of kelp in the incoming line, it was clogged. I asked Jason to get the wet/dry vacuum and used it to PUSH air back through the inlet through hull to push out the kelp. Bingo...when I turned off the wet/dry vac, sea water rushed into the boat, so after I put the fittings back together, we were back underway.
I'm not sure if it was experience, stupidity, or baja bash fatigue, but the crew never really flinched during the two bobbles this morning. Everyone just went about doing what needed to be done with the minimum or words and orders. There was a feeling in the air of, "oh well just another thing to deal with and fix before we continue". If this would have happened earlier in our cruiser there would have been a much different feeling in the air, more like, "OMG what are we going to do, we are all going to die".
1212AM We just finished lunch, cup noodle and Mexican Bus Burritos. We made 30 Mexican Bus Burritos while in Turtle Bay and that just might last us until Ensenada, if I can keep Jason out of them! Currently motor sailing on calm seas with about 8-10 kts of wind out of the East off the land, which is totally opposite of what the weather was forecast! Lori and and I are both going to take a nap now and get some rest,leaving the watch to Amy and Jason.
240PM Enjoying a boost from a current on the inside of Cedros Island. Our speed is up to 7kts without any change in wind or engine speed. Went through a fog bank that made the other two boats disappear - are we in the Channel Islands in June with that type of Fog? We made a coffee cake this morning and when Lori and I woke up from our naps, all that was left were crumbs in the bottom of the pan, I wasn't happy. Checked the engine and engine compartment, everything seems to be ok. Lori and I are now on watch out in the cockpit while Amy and Jason watch a video. I unplugged the refrigerator this morning to defrost it and fortunately just remembered to plug it back in, nice and defrosted, which will help it use less Amos. With the motor running and the alternator cranking out all the amps we need the batteries are floating at 14.25V.
315PM The Admiral has the crew polishing stainless while underway, so I ducked down below to make a log entry. I would try to go lay down, that I don't think I could get away with that for very long. One of the kids would no doubt rat me out. That's the trouble with kids, if you get away with something under the Admiral's eyes, the kids catch ya. I'm thinking about what's for dinner, so I'll take some precooked pork verde and white rice out of the freezer. Might as well live it up now because you never know when the weather will turn ugly. Engine temp 184 degs, nice and normal it sure would be nice to have a working temperature gauge out at the helm, but for now we just shoot the engine with our IR Harbor Freight Heat gun. You were NOT thinking of casting off cruising without one of these $20 tools were you? Don't do it!
415PM Lori tells me to go get some rest. We are 83 miles from our destination of San Carlos. Currently making 6.6Kts at 2000RPM on FLAT calm seas.
500PM I'm waken up by the VHF radio announcement, "we just got hit by 35kts of wind...we are turning around". And with that our good day ended. We were just about to pop out behind the lee of Cedros when the lead boat Sea Raven in our flotilla got a taste of what was blowing. The fleet took 30 seconds to think about it and decided to head for the small fish camp anchorage on the North end of Cedros.
615PM The anchor is down at Cedros and we just gave some local fishermen a bag of food. They came over to say hello and trade for fish, but we didn't want the fish and just gave them a bag of groceries. Lori is re-heating one of our pre-cooked meals, Jason is loading Star Trek the Next Generation, and we will relax here for the night.
The plan now is to try and leave here at 2AM tomorrow morning in hopes of calm seas and less wind on the nose...we will see how that works out.
08/07/2012, Turtle Bay to ??
We just started the engine to warm up a bit for our 8AM pulling of the anchor here in Turtle Bay. All we really know for sure is that we are ready to leave and will be dropping our anchor again somewhere north, either later this afternoon or in 2-3 Days, it's all based on the weather. We are rested up after our stay here, but at day 22, we would much rather be tied to our Port San Luis mooring ball than about 700 miles away from our destination.
Reports underway to follow via SSB radio updates.
|Baja Bash 2012||