SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

And So It Begins: The Great Teak Desk Removal Project

15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
Capt Rich
To anyone that has been around the boating world, other than the words "Repower", "Sinking" or "Pirates" perhaps there isn't a phrase that strikes as much fear into the boat owners heart as the phrase "Teak Deck Removal". And for good reason, because typically the job can start an almost never ending cascade of projects, work and money spent oftentimes culminating in a Boat For Sale ad on Craigslist.

Since we have no other place to live, I'm safe from the For Sale Ad, but as we started the project this weekend, I'm pretty sure we have no shortage of money spent and work ahead of us. I say US rather than Me, Myself and I because as a father, one of my primary jobs is to teach my son life lessons. What better a way to teach Jason a valuable life lesson than spending the summer of his Jr Year ripping off and then reinstalling a new deck. The lesson of course is what I always would say, but then ultimately didn't follow myself: "Don't buy a Boat with a Teak Deck".

Teak decks leak.
Not sometimes, but always.
So no matter how nice they look and how much the previous owner lies to you about how dry and solid they are, they either have leaked or will leak. Ok, so what, you can just patch them up and put bowl to catch the water right? Ha ha ha...oh if only it was so easy. See once water leaks underneath a teak deck, the water gets into what is known as the "Core" which on boats built back in 1977 was, as Jason describes, a Balsawood and fiberglass lasagna or make that a wet lasagna. The teak slats are attached to top fiberglass layer with screws, thousands of them and each screw hole is a leak point. Once the core gets wet you have two basic choices.
1) Act like you don't know it is wet and just remove the teak planks and add more fiberglass to the top, followed by new paint and deck grip.
2) Rip out the entire deck including the wet and rotten core and replace it all with new marine plywood and fiberglass then paint and put on the new deck grip.

As tempting as it is to go with Option 1 and then sell the boat as soon as the job is finished, we plan on keeping THIRD DAY for many more years to come, so we just have to bite the bullet and take the red pill and as Morpheus said, "see how deep the rabbit hole goes".

This is the type of project that end relationships, busts cruise dreams and certainly could send lesser crews swimming for a house ashore, so I figure by sharing the story if I turn up missing people will at least know a motive!

So first you pry up some of the teak planks and you expose the top layer of the fiberglass and balsa wood lasagna. The black goo on top of the fiberglass is the adhesive that helped hold down the teak
 photo IMG_1398.jpg

Now we need to find out what is under that top layer of fiberglass, so we need to cut a hole. We hope to find nice dry 39yr old balsa wood. Call me Capt Dreamer.
 photo What is under the Deck.jpeg

The moment of truth (or sorrow) is when we pulled up the test patch and found sopping wet balsa wood.
 photo Initial Peak of Water Under the Teak.jpeg

So now that we know our fate (a complete core removal and replacement) the question became what is the fastest way to get it up...ah hello Mr Skilsaw
 photo The Skilsaw Answer.jpg

We adjusted the depth of the blade and the Skilsaw cuts through the teak planks and top layer of fiberglass like butter, so then "all we have to do" it scrape out the wet soggy balsa wood core to expose the bottom later of fiberglass.
 photo Teak Deck Removal the Easy Way.jpg


I guess the good news is that the Skilsaw approach should go pretty fast, the bad news is that the deck of this barge is HUGE.
 photo Just a little Teak Deck.jpeg

Tearing stuff up is always the easy part, so once all the old teak deck is cut away, the real work will begin of putting in layers of fiberglass and marine plywood (or FRP Core material) to built it back up.

The Goal is to have her put back together with the top coat paint and new Kiwigrip tread rolled on before school starts at the end of this summer when I lose Jason back to school. I'm sure this will be one summer that Jason will be happy when school starts up again!
Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008