S/V Uhuru

The excellent adventures of S/V Uhuru.

19 February 2019
18 November 2017 | Portobello, Panama
05 April 2017
05 April 2017
05 April 2017
28 March 2017
07 March 2017
05 March 2017
05 March 2017
26 February 2017
25 February 2017
24 February 2017
24 February 2017

Guadalajara Guadalajara Guadalajara!

14 August 2016
Have you ever heard mariachi's sing that song?

Month 5 in Puerto Vallarta sends us inland almost five hours to Guadalajara.

After our fantastic bus ride into the city, we arrived at our AirBnB in the Americana neighborhood. Staying there, we felt like locals, walking everywhere. There were lots of restaurants just around the corner.

We had a really enjoyable 45-minute walk to the old town. There are huge trees that look like they have been around for a long time. Walking underneath them and over the roots, breaking up and raising the sidewalks, past fantastic graffiti filled walls and imposing old homes behind iron gates and through neighborhood squares with the aroma of delicious food everywhere.

The city’s architecture is diverse with Colonial era stonework and neo gothic cathedrals and yet it’s modern at the same time. It seemed that there was something to see at every corner. In fact, we were trying to walk to Plazuela de los Mariachis but I kept seeing other things “over there!” and finally, we were so tired, that we never made it, but we did see many other things along the way.

Guadalajara is at an elevation of over 5,000 feet so the temperature was nice and the humidity was lower than Puerto Vallarta.

This city really makes you feel like you are in Mexico and not just a tourist destination. Rarely would anyone speak English to us. Truly one of Mexico’s nicest cities.
Comments
Vessel Name: Uhuru
Vessel Make/Model: CT-41
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Brian
Social:
Uhuru's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 25 February 2016