SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Oriental to Norfolk

10 April 2012 | Norfolk
Bligh- Storm and cold on the way
ORIENTAL TO NORFOLK
April 10, 2012
We left Oriental and sailed into "no signal" country. The immediate destination was Belhaven, NC. It is a small community with a couple of small marinas and we took a side tie in the Belhaven Waterway Marina. It reminded us of St. Christophers in Port O'Connor but with some very distinctive differences. The staff met us as usual and they rigged fenders from their inventory so that all was ready when we got there. The "long dock" was a very manicured lawn with screened porches and most interesting facilities. For instance, the men's head was decorated with 1944 Navy stuff including "dear john" letters, discharge papers, magazines, etc. Everything was closed in town so we stayed aboard and did no tourism stuff. Early next day, we set sail for and anchorage to be determined "when we got tired". That turned out to be Broad Creek which was an ideal place to duck out of the 30 plus knots of wind. We barely moved all night and the holding was superb. The real plus to the winds was the fact that it kept at least 2 million flies in the air and not camping under our bimini. Scurv claims it his patrolling that did the trick.
We left the anchorage at 0645 this morning bound for Norfolk. We were excited to finally cross into Virginia. Little did we realize that the real challenge would be within 15 miles of that destination. We managed to catch every one of the six bridges with time to spare and we had a lock to boot. Those last 15 miles took almost five hours. We cooled our heels over two and one half hours at one bridge due to construction. As much as bridge delays are irritating, one boat in our little gaggle had a faulty shift lever. The solo sailor had to run below to shift the transmission. That made hovering near bridges a bit of a hassle but he handled it fine.
We got to Norfolk just at sunset and what a sight it is. To call this place a Navy town is grossly understated. There are dry docks almost downtown with cruisers, subs, destroyers and even an aircraft carrier . My Dad spoke of liberty here in the early '40s but I know it was nothing like it is now. In the middle of all the dry docks and warehouses lies a very attractive downtown.
We chose a remote marina on Scott's Creek for our stay here. We think we will retrieve the pickup and stay a while to do the local history. This place has a very rich history and that may take a week or so. We have now checked off another bucket list item. Technically, we are on the Elizabeth River but we are one bridge away from the Chesapeake. We sailed past mile zero on the AICW. How cool is that? Pictures later, this auld dawg is tired. Rack time now

New late night snack: cold hot dog weiners and brandy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.