SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Heat

21 June 2012
HEAT
June 21, 2012
We are out of training for hot weather. For the past few weeks the afternoon temps have been in the 70s and 80s. Yesterday, it turned mean and hit mid 90s with little to no breeze. I know that being from Texas automatically makes the word “heat” a debatable thing but the one day transition from 80s to upper 90s causes one to take notice. It was hotter yesterday and will be hotter today than most of Texas. It is a good thing that tomorrow will see a cooling trend. Two years ago, we purchased a product called Shade Tree™ which is a nifty, self supporting awning that fits over the foredeck. Supported by composite bows, it stands tall enough to look like a wagon train cover and is tall enough to stand under. The material is gray silver and it is way cooler than our forest green bimini. Our Dutchman™ sail flaking system prevents use over the boom but I am sure they make one that will work. Anyway, that thing shades the entire deck forward of the mast and I am tempted to hang a hammock there.
Tis the season for locals to get out and about. Several flotillas have made this port on what averages a two week sail about the Bay. From them, we have learned much about the anchorages and harbors here. There are hundreds of destinations as we have said before but the really nice thing is that one can spend two weeks and not get more than about 60 miles from home. One can cross from the Western shore to the Eastern shore and basically drop back a century or two in the process. The Eastern shore is rural whereas the Western shore is more populated. The nice part is that from here, a dozen or so wonderful anchorages and destinations are only 30 or so miles apart which makes for a fine short sail across those two centuries.
The Bay has had its challenges over the years. Where once a thriving oyster industry existed, disease and over harvesting have taken a toll. Efforts are underway to re-establish the oyster beds but that may take a generation or two. The blue crab part of the industry seems fine and I learned something about them (blue crabs). They migrate and in some cases they do so over the entire length of the Bay and beyond. We have seen some that are over seven inches point to point and that makes them huge by Texas standards. We have not seen a single dolphin in this Bay which is sad since they bring so much to the water world. They may be here but we have not seen any. We have seen some nasty looking jellies in the harbor but unlike any in our area. I mentioned “Cabage Heads” that can be used as solid water balloons and folks think we’ve been in the sauce. We have seen only a few of the birds so common to us, pelicans, herons and cranes. Fortunately, there are few seagulls. Maybe it is the time of year.


The picture is of a concept plane offered in the competition for the Raptor contract. It is in my mind the absolute ugliest aircraft I have ever seen..
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.