SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

South Bounders

19 October 2012
Very nice after a rain
SOUTH BOUNDERS
October 19, 2012
The weather is quirky now but most days are in the 70s and that makes for great days afloat. We are seeing a changing mooring field that fills every evening. Most boats stop for a night or two then head south. So far, we have seen only one boat flying the Texas flag but we did not meet them although we hoisted our larger flag. Guess they are running from the cold and have an eye on the islands. We are next to the dinghy dock and that allows us to see all types of dinks. Most are inflatable but every now and then we see some beauties. There is something about a lap strake rowing dink that stands out. Most of the mooring boats, being so close to the dock, do not bother to mount a motor. Thus most row ashore and that can provide some real entertainment. Not everyone is an accomplished oarsman and the backwards orientation whilst rowing can be hazardous. Good thing our anchor tackle does not stick into the fairway, lest some might lose hair in that backwards effort.
I spent all day yesterday replacing the freezer system aboard. The bulk of the day was spent removing the old unit. Our new unit is a frost plate type that can actually keep ice cream frozen once I seal it right. Our old unit never kept the freezer actually frozen. We have tossed a lot of food during our cruise but hope our new unit will fix that. The new unit uses less than half the energy of the old and runs a lot less. Now the trick is to get the gaskets adjusted and work to find the best setting for the box. Since I spent most of the day on my knees yesterday and contorted into the freezer box, my old carcass is rebelling today. Soreness even makes moving a chore. Alas, that won’t prevent me from working on my old enemy, the forward head. Yup, it is time for the bi-monthly overhaul of that thing. This time, we are replacing the motor, several housing parts and other stuff. Ask any sailor, except the bucket users, and they will say that marine heads are lousy unless one springs for the really upscale floozy doozy type that are well over a grand in price.
K dock is starting to thin out. Several crews have already left for the winter and their boats are asleep. We are now the only crew that will live aboard this winter on this dock. There are only three other crews that will do weekends until December then they will haul their boats to land. Scurv is missing Issy, the lab on the boat next door. Now he is down to chatting with Tucker, a spaniel from J dock and the black squirrels in the oak tree next to the pool.

Bear report: After yet another specialist visit, Bear is clear to resume normal life aboard.
The picture is in the Calvert Maritime Museum.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.