SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Dock Lines and Cabin Clutter

23 October 2012 | Still in Solomons
Perfect Fall Day
DOCK LINES AND CABIN CLUTTER
October 23, 2012
Walk any harbor and you will see boats that never go anywhere. You may also see some that are permanent homes for folks that are neither active sailors nor even water people. The boat starts to look like an apartment of sorts with all kinds of stuff on deck such as large live plants or residue from some attempt to stop a leak such as home caulking compound glopped around some hatch. The flip side of that is some 30 year old boat that is as shiny as the day is made the first splash; a study in the art of varnishing. The former has a myriad of dock lines holding it permanently to the dock. Said lines were added over the years when the dweller felt the need for more safety in some storm. The latter has single or doubled bright shiny lines that may be old but they are clean and tied with pride and are constantly reset.
I was stopped in the parking lot the other day by a family just curious about life on the water. They debated before stopping me if I “am an actual boater”? Gee, what would give that away: a chubby old guy wearing shorts, sweater and deck shoes with no socks and a Greek fishing cap. Seems they were debating whether or not to ask questions about this that we do. They had a few questions not the least of which was about downsizing from a house to a boat: to keep or sell the house and what to do with their stuff if they did so, etc. One thing I mentioned is that while we are living the dream, there are some realities of it. I mentioned that things break and that it is not all just sitting on deck enjoying beverages with little umbrellas all day long. In fact broken things and maintenance in general are a full time job. Those sunsets, sunrises and sailing along on a fresh breeze are the rewards. We spent over an hour discussing life in the universal solvent. Which brings me back to the point of sorts: there is no such thing as too much room aboard unless one has a few hundred pound equivalent of gold in one’s boat. It is easy to ignore stuff as it inevitability builds up aboard. What used to look like a picture from the original sales brochure gives way to the reality of where to sit the computer or where to put the pots and pans. We are constantly moving stuff to sit for a meal or find the doohickey. Our midship head is a full storage locker. So is the aft cabin and now too the mobile storage unit. The opposite of that is a small trawler we saw in the mooring field the other day. It is a 30 feet beauty with clean decks, no fuel cans and no hanging baskets. The crew thereon have been cruising the Atlantic Intracoastal Water Way for two and half decades. This is a new boat to them and the largest ever. For most of that time, they did it aboard boats less than 24 feet. Wow.
I wondered why the boat has not been moving much lately. I was oiling the toe rail yesterday when I found out. When I attempted to remove a dock line, it was piano wire tight. The one opposite it on the other side was the same way obviously. At low tide, they were twangy tight. I released one after finding the knot was almost impossible to loosen. When I did, Why Knot settled about an inch into the water by the stern and the piling to which it was tied stood up straight. Talk about strain on the dock and the cleats. Pay attention Bligh.

Now that Bear is recovering nicely, we will execute the plan to do some fall sailing in the Chesapeake. What a concept. It will also help keep the dock lines adjusted.

The picture is of Bob Bitchin, Jody and Bligh at the recent Annapolis US Sailboat Show. They were the founders of Latitudes and Attitudes Magazine now defunct. Their new operation is Cruiser's Outpost.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.