SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

The Dream Does Not End

29 November 2012
The Dream Does Not End
November 29, 2012

Just because we are not aboard is no reason for the dream to end. For instance, I awoke at 0400 this morning in a dream that we were approaching the northwest channel at Key West. It was a great dream that was basically an amalgam of several such early morning times aboard. Unlike the actual approach, my dream was filled with a night of absolute terror and actual joy, not that they are in the same league. There were big seas and high winds. The sea tossed a challenge to us and we won. Bear was off watch and asleep below and so was Scurv. We were trimmed and dry below as the sun finally started to take the night monsters away. We were tired but elated at the thought of being in the Conch Republic, or anywhere for that matter. After all, we were now a sea boat crew and though it did not happen, the early morning fishing boats and day sailors were, at least in my dream, waving at the boat that just came from the night.

Call them what you will: overnighter, all nighters, night passage. They all start with the morning notion that one is about to happen, either by choice or by necessity. Those with far more sea time that we have may no longer even think about it. To those of us that do not do them often, there is an expectation that is filled with doubt. As one sails into the twilight hours, all sorts of contingencies start to form. Will the navigation gear and the navigator be up to the task? Will that new thumping sound from below cause any problems? By the way, what is causing it? Will we take on water through some sea valve? Is that notorious lost shipping container or amorous whale in our path? Is the ditch bag up to date? The list goes on and even though the crew has been through the list time and time again, the nagging questions never go away for the occasional overnighter. At any one time on this mud ball, there are hundreds of blue water passage makers making their ways across vast open oceans. They may be past these questions due to the routine of weeks at sea. Few sailors I know have even actually worn out a sail on a passage. None have hit that whale, but it does happen.

The fewer night passages one makes, the more importance each has. Each one is special. Each one leaves a mark on the soul and the memory. Each one moves us away from the fresh water lake where we learned to sail upwind into the vast limitless realm of fertile dreams. Cruising has become for us, challenges to see what is around the corner and over the horizon. To see the sunrise after a night passage is just like getting down on your hands and knees and crawling up to and peaking over the edge of the Grand Canyon for the first time. Well, sort of!
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.