SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

The Cruise of 2013

08 February 2013
PHASE IX (THE CRUISE OF ’13)
February 8, 2013
Some folks consider sailors a bit weird and if having a dill pickle and strong coffee at 0430 whilst attempting to type in the dark is a bit off normal, then methinks I might be a candidate. After getting the good news that all of the tests Bear endured have indicated we are not in line, at least yet, for some knarley medical future, we are looking forward to climbing back aboard and resuming the cruise. At one point a few weeks ago, we (I)were actually working on contingency plans to find Why Knot a good home and quit the sea. We were saturated with medical tests with no results. That is behind us and the go box is in place for those walk by deposits leading up to the voyage.
Speaking of the go box, it has evolved over the past nearly four years. Initially, we loaded WK to the gunnels with so much stuff that the boot stripe separating bottom paint from the topside colors went under water about an inch or so. Even monkeys learn sooner or later and we now know that we do not need a year’s supply of anything if we stay with our present cruising ideas. The go box has gotten much smaller as a result. We both stop by it during the run up and add or remove stuff, sometime unannounced to the ship mate. Consequently, on the other end of that now 1,600 mile drive one or the other of us might find the favorite dooderflam did not make the trip. So, the go box is a dynamic, informal bit of luggage the contents of which is never known until unloaded. More than a few times I have left something ordered just for WK in the barn. The good news is that WK floats higher and now I am thinking about moving the boot stripe down during her spring quick haul.
Scurv had acquired a bad habit: bone chewing. I am talking about his enthusiastic habit of consuming large cow bones. That poses a bit of a dilemma since said bones cannot be good for the sole of the boat nor the feet at zero dark thirty. Besides that, he buries them time and again in the yard and there will be no place on the boat to do that except under cushions and bedding.
Although this next phase is IX, we will call it the cruise of 2013 due to the extended break we have taken. Maybe a new name will help keep the bad things away.

Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.