SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Back Aboard

18 April 2013 | Solomons, MD
very nice
Back Aboard
April 18, 2013
We got to the marina yesterday around mid afternoon. There were many boats still on stands in the parking lot and many vacant slips in the marina. Why Knot was sitting in her slip almost grinning at the prospect to coming back to full commission. Surprisingly, the stainless steel on deck looked very good, almost polished. Unlike the Gulf areas, stainless steel does not rust as quickly or as badly as in Port A. If we had left WK there for five months, the s.s. would look like scrap. Perhaps our troll is attempting to make amends and has kept it clean. He is still on the hit list when we find him.
First glance at WK revealed a generous amount of good will droppings from sea birds but the dink was still “aired up”. I guess the gooy stuff works. OK, time to open the hatch and see what greets us. Wow, no yucky boat smell, no mildew, no rat signs. There was a lot of stuff that indicated our hasty departure last time. I looked a bit like a bad guy headquarters just before the troops arrive. Stuff everywhere and no place to sit. First things first. We started to drain the vodka from the fresh water tanks but most likely did not get it all. Then get the new freezer unit started. It is a two step process with a soft start then we switch it to “ice cream” mode 10 hours later. Given the 1.600 mile commute, we retired early and so did Scurv. Seems he has forgotten nothing in terms of his first life aboard and his favorite marking bush.
The marina is launching boats as quickly as they can and that empties the parking lots where they stored them. This is the early part of what will be a migration of boats northward. We will join them in a few weeks.
Our thoughts and prayers to the victims of the Boston bombings and the folks in West (TX) who worked at the fertilizer factory and always for the troops.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.