SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Newport Shore Leave

28 June 2013
Newport Shore Leave
June 28, 2013
We needed to provision yesterday so we rented a car for the day. After getting the grub needs satisfied, we drove over to Newport to see the place. Aside from the boating activities, Newport is a place where the ultra wealthy of yesteryear chose to build American castles. Many of those very opulent dwellings are open to the public and are no longer privately owned, at least by the families of those who built them originally. It was a place to escape the heat of summer for the giants of industry and finance of the era.
As to the sailing part, I would agree that Newport might well best Fort Lauderdale for the title of yachting capital. The downtown area is loaded with chandleries of all sorts to support movement by sail. The harbor is a mile or so across and moorings fill the spaces. We did not see any vacancy. Naturally, I was attracted to Fort Adams that guards the bay and is most prominent across from Newport Harbor. It was designed by Simon Bernard, former aide-de-camp to Napoleon. The fort is now in the care of a foundation that will have great difficulties caring for it. Time has taken its toll and unlike the other such forts we have visited, this is in very sad shape to have been built so well in the first place. One can actually enter one or two small areas and access to the outer defenses and internal spaces is prohibited.
The town of Wickford is most impressive though very small. Its history is evident since most of the housing is original. There are a few fine spots to dine and that is where we tried Quahog for the first time. What’s a Quahog you ask? Well it is not s four-footed furry rodent. It does not squeal so far as we know. Pronounced coe-hog, a golf ball sized clam that is very tasty. So, we had our very first Quahogs yesterday. Bear purchased a live lobster that now resides in our refrigerator but will meet his match tonight.
It is raining now but that should end soon. Our new friends, the Brits aboard SY Ruffian are at Block Island, a dozen miles or so off the RI coast. They are socked in a heavy fog and may not be able to escape today. That is normal for BI this time of year. We thought we would hand around until the 4th at Bristol, known for it’s 4th celebrations but we now think we will continue east to celebrate wherever we are on that day. I hope to repair our anchor windlass today if the rain stops. Fortunately, it is stuck on raise but will not lower. That is done by releasing the hook and letting it free fall- not good form and it’s noisy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.