SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Rockland to Northeast Harbor

01 August 2013
Rockland to Northeast Harbor
(Mount Desert Island, Maine) 44⁰ 17.765'N:68⁰ 16.854'W
July 31, 2013
A change in the weather for the good together with a change in the marina staff made it easy to cast off the dock lines and point Why Knot eastward again. Yesterday, we were rewarded with excellent weather except for the total lack of wind for sailing. We had many choices of route to include many islands and even a punch offshore to avoid them all. The most direct route was through a number of islands using Fox Island Thorofare and Deer Island Thorofare. These relatively narrow channels weave between some spectacular, rocky islands and small harbors. We saw several seals on the way. A lobsterman told me they steal lobster from the pots.
Just as we entered Fox Island Thorofare, we followed a beautiful wood schooner about a hundred feet in length. They were under full sail even though there was less than four knots of wind at the time. Needless to say, we had to pass them in the channel and we got a view of this old ship as she was meant to be: full press at the mercy of the wind. That was not the last schooner we saw yesterday. Several offer multi-day passages through the islands. What a grand sight on the deep blue waters of Maine. As we approached Deer Island Thorofare, we fouled a lobster float. Not sure how that happened other than possibly sailing between two on a tether. Anyway, the drill was to drop sail and sit down to contemplate the fact that I would soon have to put on a wet suit and go below to remove the float line from the prop. The water is too darn cold for a swim but at least we were mid bay. Just as Bear started below to get the wet suit, we floated clear of the other float and the line. The guess is that we got very lucky that the line did not wrap too much and the weight of the pots pulled it free. I am guessing Neptune gives one pass to every crew. Perhaps that was ours. In any event, we are glad to have been spared the swim.
We rounded the headland to the harbor at 1400 to a view of yet another schooner, The American Eagle, under full sail ghosting along at a blistering 2 knots. Beyond was Somes Sound, a true fjord and the only one in the Lower 48. Our chart plotter indicated that our destination was ahead but we saw no indication of the harbor until we got close. True to the fjord thing, the high rocks almost hid the harbor entrance. We took a mooring well back in the harbor and the view is spectacular. We think this may well be the top harbor, visually, of all we have seen.
This is the turn around harbor unless we sail around the island to do a night in Bar Harbor just to say we did. We are now over 2,300 miles from home but about 4,000 nautical miles by sea. We are as far east and north as we will go. Who knows if we will come this way again?
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.