SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

The Basics

20 August 2013 | Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
perfect weather
The Basics
August 20, 2013
After being aboard as long as we, one can tell the good sounds from the bad. For the past three days, I have been hearing the tell tale sound of the generator impeller dying. Not wanting to be so quick to judge that as the reason, I watched as the flow continued to subside. That should be the warning to change the thing at the first available time without waiting for it to fail. Honestly, I was planning to get it before failure. Did not happen. As Bear was making breakfast, the generator died suddenly. I already knew the cause. OK, so open the lazarette, dig out all the contents and let the whole compartment cool off seemed like a good idea. Just enough time to take a nap. Being the sharp guy I am, I did not check the strainer first. I replaced the impeller and sure enough some of the ears were broken. Good call, huh? When I tried it the flow was not good. How long has it been since I checked the strainer? I took the cap off and could hardly get the basket out due to a heavy weave matt of sea grass. Should have checked that some time ago since it is most likely the cause of the failed impeller. Note to self: check the strainers, all of them, every few days. I put the whole thing back in operation and the flow was outstanding, at least for an hour. Back to the strainer to find the basket completely clogged with a jelly fish who was not having a good time. Ok, so he is dead, right? No need to be careful or wear gloves. It was lucky that I did not get stung on my hands, but I am now feeling some stinging from the stuff that splashed on my feet. Note to self: use precaution since even dead jellies can sting.

It is dark and the WDS has started. It has been quiet all day but for now, some fool thinks he is doing a good Garth Brooks on some boat nearby. Oh no, now he is doing Woodie Guthrie. Gonna be a long night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.