SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Block Island

22 August 2013 | Block Island
hcooper@gvtc.com
Block Island
August 22, 2013
With something less than good planning, we left Martha's Vineyard yesterday at 0615 for the long sail to Block Island, RI. The idea was to get there to wait for the upcoming rain event. Seemed like it was good timing except for one thing: tides. Vineyard sound is fairly open at both ends so I did not even consider the possibilities of adverse current. Unlike the narrow passage at Wood's Hole where current is definitely a factor, the open sound should not be so strong. That is partially right. It was not the five knots of the Hole. It was a flat three knots opposing. At times we were seeing a whopping three knots of speed over ground even with the iron genny tacking high numbers. We were in foul current until noon which made the 8 hour passage considerably longer.
Block Island is just off the Rhode Island coast about thirteen miles. Our course, once out of Vineyard Sound (past Cuttyhunk Island) ran parallel the coast. The famous Block Island swell was comfortable and tame so the day went well. We crossed two major shipping lanes, one of which is used by US subs returning to Groton. I kept a lookout for one but we did not see any. We did see a couple of large turtles. Block Island has a reputation for fog but yesterday we first saw it twelve miles out.
Upon arrival at BI we learned all the moorings were taken. That's a lot of moorings. The fall back was the anchorage and my guess is that at least two hundred boats are "hook down" outside the mooring field.
An enterprising bakery chef motors in the anchoring and moorings early morning with literally a boat load of fresh baked goods to include hot breakfast sandwiches. When near, you will hear "Adiamooo". Aldo and his dad before him made a living selling very delicious pastries to boaters from his open launch (Aldo's Bakery). He arrives along side with the good displayed in the boat. The variety is amazing. I am thinking that such an enterprise might work in large mainland harbors as well.
Picture is of downtown Edgertown, the largest town on Martha's Vineyard

PS: The generator through hull fitting upchucked the rest of the jelly fish that was restricting the flow so we have a happy generator now.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.