SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Update- new direction

12 June 2014
stormy night

Greasy Spoons

Since the start of our cruise, I have observed a sort of breakfast tradition. If we stopped for longer than a day or two, I sought out what I call greasy spoons. That is the name for small cafes in which the locals meet for the long cup of coffee and eggs. I order to qualify as a greasy spoon, said eggs must be capable of sliding about in the plate lubricated by a generous grease slick. Get it? Anyway, it reminds me of high school days in West Texas where farmers would gather every morning, presumably to get out of the way of the lady of the house, to discuss crops, weather and politics. It is sort of a tradition that I have only noticed since I got all " growed up and haired over "(a phrase my bud, Willie Bill uses). I have found those places along the entire route since leaving Texas. There is noting fancy about them and the farmers, watermen (fishermen to Texans), police officers and ordinary types do the same things everywhere. Breakfast, what a tradition!

The crew of Why Knot has made a major decision. The events of late have impressed upon us that perhaps we need to settle down a bit and head back to the normal side of life, whatever that is. We have lived some of our sea dream, made many memories, met many great crews and had a chance to see stuff. We think we have a handle on the critical engine part and Bear is on the mend. There is this one niggling thing on our minds that we cannot shake. As wonderful as it has been, with some exceptions, time has taken some of the fire from the boilers and we must forego some of the dance. That is not to say that we are doing anything rash like getting away from the sea but we must scratch that niggling thing on our minds. Texas is calling us home. I am sure our home friends and family are thinking we were listing a bit in our thinking when we left and now that they have gotten used to us being gone, we are listing a bit on our return. Hey, no plan, no schedule and no destination allows flexibilities, right? Since it took us 54 months to get to this spot, we decided to give Why Knot a rest and let her ride home on a big ole truck. We will meet up with her in Kemah (Houston) where she will be re-commissioned and have minor refit. Then some starry night, we will slide her out Bolivar Roads and into the Gulf for the overnighter to our home port, Port Aransas. Thus will end the Atlantic part of our adventure after 6,000 sea miles and 1,700 land miles. More on the prep for the trucking and what's next for the crew of Why Knot. The beat goes on.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.