Bookmark and Share

SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.
The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life
Dreams in Works
Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
Thar be Dragons Ruffian Out of the Blue Gypsy Soul 
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.

Naval Norfolk
whitecaps on the coffee

April 18, 2012
We decided to do a bit of tourism yesterday and that was in the form of a Navy Base Cruise. Good thing we did because today at the slip, the winds are 25 g 30kts and we have waves climbing aboard our swim platform. I had the dinghy tied astern but it stood a good chance to self destruct and take some gel coat with it. We are heeled about 4 degrees in the slip and rocking and rolling. If the wind clocked ten degrees either way, we would be somewhat sheltered. It is debatable whether or not it is better to be at anchor in some cove where the bow is to wind and the boat is pitching as opposed to pitching, and rolling at the slip. Nawh, it is better to be tied in 30 kts of wind if one can.
Back to the cruise, we took the one designed to sail past the Naval docks with a narrator telling ship names by numbers. We first passed the dry docks where a couple of Arleigh Burke guided missile destroyers (DDGs) were receiving bottom paint and repairs. One was the USS Bainbridge which was used to take out the Somali pirates. Gee, I thought the Nave must have some whippy dippy bottom paint that never needed replacing. Then we saw the active fleet in port. Am guessing here that there must have been fifty or so ships and subs in port. Among them were several DDGs such as the USS Cole (hit by a suicide boat in Yemen) which is now fully functional. The USS San Antonio, a specialized ship to take the Marines boating. The USS George H.W. Bush is in port. She is the last of the Stennis class supercarriers and just recently commissioned. They came in at around $5Billion each but supposedly the Bush was over $6.5 Billion. National treasure much!!! There were a few Los Angeles class subs. What a show. The Navy security guys wouldn't even discuss letting me take one out. Got my captain's license so I don't understand why they did not even wave.
Another local attraction is a huge sloop sailboat with a 160 feet mast. She is in port for repairs. Guess what color she is? Give up? Bright red and what a beauty. They snubbed me too. So for now, guess we will just hide below today and do inside projects. Scurv is now the master of the quick nap, the wind sprint below deck and a fierce competitor at tug of war. More later.

Pic is of some of the ships at Norfolk

| | More
Knowing Ones Limitations
81 degrees and clear
04/15/2012, Portsmouth, VA

April 15, 2012
One attraction to us is the historical aspect of our cruising grounds. Along the way from Texas to the Chesapeake we encountered significant historical sites in small numbers. Once we stopped by the Visitors Center in Portsmouth, VA it became obvious that historical sites are stacked on top of each other from here north. Portsmouth, for instance, celebrated its 400 th year in 2007. Yesterday, armed with brochures, we drove around looking at the area and enjoying the spring foliage. The old gps was overheating when asked for history stuff. So, it is now obvious to us that there is absolutely no way we will see even half of them. Dang, we need another quarter century just to drive by them. Now I know how Scurv feels when he looks at a forest.
We started to see notations about Sears Houses. Local communities keep track of them since they were popular in the pre-depression US. What is a Sears House? It was a prefabricated house sold by Sears Roebuck. It included everything but the foundation and came by train or truck with a seventy five page do it yourself manual. There were several models and Sears offered some custom features. One such house in Wilmington was priced at $600, delivered. Sears even carried the note which came back to bite them when the Great Depression hit. They wanted to be known as "family friendly" so Sears actually absorbed the defaults. The houses were offered before Sears sold tools. That came after they recognized many folks needed tools to assemble the house. More on this subject:
We have decided our 15 hp Yamaha is just too heavy for our needs. Besides that, we don't really like to do 20 knots in the dinghy because it puts whitecaps on the coffee; that is the coffee that is not on the shirt. We don't need to expose Bears back to high speed beatings either. Rowing speed is just fine. Scurv has not ridden in the dink yet and my guess is that he would not like it either as the face fuzz might be a problem. He has been "bugged" a time or two by sticking his snoot out the window of our vehicle. Speaking of bad haircuts, Scurv has actually managed to grow hair in the gaps we gave him.

| | More
04/16/2012 | Dream Ketcher
Patti and I really enjoy your blog . You have such a great way of telling a story.

I will swn you a picture. Print it out and scurv will begin to see his future. It might even be his big brother.

Dave and Patti
Passing Mile Zero
Cold, windy but improving
04/12/2012, Portsmouth, VA

April 12, 2012
After a day and a half listening to high, cold winds it appears some relief is on the way. The temperature did not get above the high 50's today but the bright sunlight made it tolerable. There are a number of Canadian Geese in residence here and some consider them a pest. The marina has attempted to discourage their presence by the use of something that makes the grass bitter but it has limited success. There are a half dozen taunting the marina. Scurv considers them potential buddies. They don't seem to think so and legends of goose-on-small dog violence is everywhere. Scurv has a bit of a surprise on the way when he does finally get close.
We saw a trawler the other day named The Pearl from Port Lavaca, Tx. They are on the same type of cruise as we. It was not long afterward that we passed mile zero into different water than before. This area has documented history back to the sixteenth century as one would expect for the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. So, to those unfamiliar with this area, there are several rivers that spill into the Chesapeake and each one is a history lesson. To me, it's like a dirt trip(trip to shore grass) for young Scurv. Are we looking forward to sailing past West Point, the DC area and Baltimore Inner Harbor to name a few. I am wondering just how many forts and battlefields are within a hundred miles of this place? For instance, Norfolk has one and on top of that they have BB64, the USS Wisconsin, the class of battle ship that is perhaps the most beautiful warship ever built. Is it possible to wear out a pair of deck shoes in one town?
The picture is of the dry docks near downtown Norfolk

Note: we have added a few pics to the gallery under Norfolk. More later

| | More
Oriental to Norfolk
Bligh- Storm and cold on the way
04/10/2012, Norfolk

April 10, 2012
We left Oriental and sailed into "no signal" country. The immediate destination was Belhaven, NC. It is a small community with a couple of small marinas and we took a side tie in the Belhaven Waterway Marina. It reminded us of St. Christophers in Port O'Connor but with some very distinctive differences. The staff met us as usual and they rigged fenders from their inventory so that all was ready when we got there. The "long dock" was a very manicured lawn with screened porches and most interesting facilities. For instance, the men's head was decorated with 1944 Navy stuff including "dear john" letters, discharge papers, magazines, etc. Everything was closed in town so we stayed aboard and did no tourism stuff. Early next day, we set sail for and anchorage to be determined "when we got tired". That turned out to be Broad Creek which was an ideal place to duck out of the 30 plus knots of wind. We barely moved all night and the holding was superb. The real plus to the winds was the fact that it kept at least 2 million flies in the air and not camping under our bimini. Scurv claims it his patrolling that did the trick.
We left the anchorage at 0645 this morning bound for Norfolk. We were excited to finally cross into Virginia. Little did we realize that the real challenge would be within 15 miles of that destination. We managed to catch every one of the six bridges with time to spare and we had a lock to boot. Those last 15 miles took almost five hours. We cooled our heels over two and one half hours at one bridge due to construction. As much as bridge delays are irritating, one boat in our little gaggle had a faulty shift lever. The solo sailor had to run below to shift the transmission. That made hovering near bridges a bit of a hassle but he handled it fine.
We got to Norfolk just at sunset and what a sight it is. To call this place a Navy town is grossly understated. There are dry docks almost downtown with cruisers, subs, destroyers and even an aircraft carrier . My Dad spoke of liberty here in the early '40s but I know it was nothing like it is now. In the middle of all the dry docks and warehouses lies a very attractive downtown.
We chose a remote marina on Scott's Creek for our stay here. We think we will retrieve the pickup and stay a while to do the local history. This place has a very rich history and that may take a week or so. We have now checked off another bucket list item. Technically, we are on the Elizabeth River but we are one bridge away from the Chesapeake. We sailed past mile zero on the AICW. How cool is that? Pictures later, this auld dawg is tired. Rack time now

New late night snack: cold hot dog weiners and brandy.

| | More
After the Gale

April 7, 2012
The storm is gone and today appears to be a ten plus in the making. The harbor had a fairly high wind driven water level yesterday which almost submerged some docks. The clouds parted late in the day and many folks came out to sit on the lobby chairs in the sun.
The motor vessel next to us is crewed by a retired Navy veteran and his wife. He learned that I walked about three miles yesterday to get some cornbread mix for dinner. They left early this morning before we awoke. I found a package on deck with cornbread mix and a boat card. That's the way it is in the cruising community. It is not unusual to see a usable boat gizmo in the laundry room with a "free" note attached.
We will spend the day enjoying the crisp, clear day and perhaps go to the farmers market just a block away. Oh yeah, I will be face down in the engine compartment for a while. Scurv will lobby both of us for frequent trips ashore.

| | More
04/07/2012 | Jim Kirkpatrick
Dear B&B, We have our boat in the same marina in Port Aransas that you left from and are planning to follow in your wake next year. We also own a slip at the Oriental Harbour Village Marina which is right around the point from where you are now. is the Oriental website and the Harbor Cam view this afternoon shows your boat's stern and your dinghy. We hope you enjoy your stay in Oriental and your cruise up the Eastern Seaboard. Please put the Eastern Shore of Maryland on your itinerary, especially Oxford and St. Michaels. When we lived in the DC area, these were some of our favorite cruising destinations.
04/09/2012 | Dave and Patti Kuchenbecker aka Dream Ketcher
Ahoy Why Knot, Dream Ketcher here.

Ah yes Oriental. We spent a few nights there in the summer of 2010 taking advantage of power for the ac. Love that little town. You can walk to the West Marine or the store, about a mile away. Well you canm try to walk, some local will stop and ask if you need a ride. Very friendly folks there.

Moving north, we stopped at Bellhaven and found it nothing like it used to be. The anchorage is nice and very protected but not much in town when we where there. Just a few miles up the ditch is Dowery Creek Marina, very nice and friendly and a courtesy car to get you to the super market. Nice pool and showers there.

I think the next stop for us was a nice anchorage at the north end of the Pongo canal where the Alligator river starts, Good holding there too.

Sounds like you are having a grand old time. We should be returning to boat life next January. Mom's stroke recovery s very slow and we are still uncertain about the next step for her. In the meantime our first grandson was born on April 2nd so there is lots of excitment here.

Good Luck and fairwinds and seas.

Dave and PAtti.
The Cruise to Oriental
Bligh- Gale
04/06/2012, Oriental Marina and Inn

April 5, 2012
The idea yesterday was to move north ahead of a strong weather system predicting gale force winds for the area for Friday. Leave Beaufort, whip up the ICW into Adams Creek thence across the Neuse River and nest comfortably in Oriental, NC to ride out the gale. Total distance, even with our wandering is less than 30 nautical.
We left Beaufort a bit late but early enough to make the short cruise to Oriental, NC before sunset. A quick five minutes after leaving the dock we were slowly cruising around Radio Island toward the turning basin in Morehead City and the ICW route to Oriental. Just then a very loud alarm started sounding. It was the high engine heat alarm. I have been listening to the changing pitch of the exhaust for some time and knew it was only a matter of time until I had to change out the sea water impeller again. We deployed the head sail enough to get out of the channel and drop the anchor. Bear started the timer to see if I could beat the sixteen minute record change from Louisiana two years ago. It took twenty minutes this time. Guess age is taking a toll. Anyway, we were confident the problem was solved. It was not. The engine overheated again even though we had good water flow from the exhaust. It turns out that we have a leak somewhere in the anti-freeze side of the cooling system. I am thinking it is one of the 14 year old hoses on the engine. Fortunately, we have the entire set of spare hoses aboard. Guess that is my new top priority project. The overflow tank showed the correct amount of coolant on my pre-start check but that is a problem. Seems the green dye in the antifreeze has permanently marked the container and there was no extra fluid in it. We added water hoping the leak was small and that did the trick.
The temperature did not top 60 degrees and we were seeing over 25 knots of wind all day. Naturally, it was on the nose. We had one last challenge other than staring at the temp gauge all day. We had to cross a wide stretch of water just prior to making Oriental. It was four miles across and the fetch was very long. Thus we had three feet seas and a wild ride. Scurv had a baptism by waves and spent a great deal of time shivering in my chair. A unique thing is that wind has a greater influence, we are told, on the Neuse River, Pamlico and Albemarle sounds water depth than tides. So, Tow Boat US had a field day.
We made Oriental around 1730 and tied off in a 10 slip marina with hotel. It is "up a creek" and sheltered from the wind and waves. Turns out it is run by a fellow from Louisiana whose family last name is the same as the owners of the famous hot sauce from Avery Island. Some distant ties there.
It is Friday and are we glad we came yesterday. There is a real gale topside and rain everywhere. The high today will be in the high 50s with 25 to 35 knots all day and gusts to 45 knots. Guess we will spend most of the day replacing the hoses on the engine whilst Bear and Scurv enjoy the day with books and chew toys. The crew next to us has been doing this for eight years so there may be some good hints and great stories to be heard. You have heard the old saying "any port in a storm". How true it is. More later-

| | More
04/06/2012 | thar be dragons
Glad to see you made it safe and are tucked into a slip.
04/06/2012 | Captn Mapache
Sounds like you are all off to a good start, Hope all is well.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.