SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Unbelievable Bravery

22 April 2012 | Portsmouth, Virginia
Cold and raining- al lot
UNBELIEVABLE BRAVERY
April 21, 2012
There are many museums in the Norfolk/Portsmouth, VA area. Most are maritime or naval in nature but we were directed to one particular museum as a starting place. It is the Mariner’s Museum in Newport News, VA. Boys and Girls, this is a very impressive presentation of the story of this area and of the sea in general. We have visited more than a few such museums and this one tops the list so far. There are actual artifacts of the very earliest days of the sea from dugouts to the age of discovery; from the early and last days of sail to the modern ships. This is a must for any sailor that might find some time in the area. It also happens to be the place that is preserving the USS Monitor, or what’s left of her. Her turret (cheese box), the cannons and many parts of her are in the de-salting tanks to preserve. Not only that but the local Lockheed ship yard reconstructed her hull, deck and turret for display at the museum. One can walk her deck and that is a bit touching. The museum also does an excellent presentation of the battle of the CSS Virginia (aka Merrimack) and the USS Monitor.
The soaking tanks contain the guns, the engine and the turret of the USS Monitor which take about 20 years to preserve. Dinner ware, clocks, crew gear are on display. Letters to loved ones are on display. The two ships met at a place now marked by a lighthouse visible from shore to do battle. It was a dog fight and both sides claimed victory. The Virginia did more damage to the Union fleet by sinking wood ships before the Monitor arrived. They the stood within pistol shot and fired on each other all the time maneuvering in a narrow channel until it was done by retirement of both ships. Shortly thereafter, the Virginia was destroyed by the Confederates nearby to keep her from Union capture. The Monitor was lost in a hurricane off Cape Hatteras not long afterward. She sunk in 260 feet and 16 crew went down with her.
We have yet decided whether or not to let Scurv go with us to these museums. As long as the weather is cool and he is somewhat trained to sit on the back seatback guarding the car he might get to go.
Update: Sunday
Yesterday was a wonderful spring day with 86 degrees and a clear sky. We prepared for a change and moved the dink into the slip and side tied it so that high winds would not beat it or the boat into oblivion. It was hard to believe that a radical weather change was in works. About midnight the whole weather change occurred. As of 1700 today it is 57 degrees, winds NW at 22 mph and raining cats and dogs. It was a good day to visit the Nauticus museum in Norfolk whose main attraction is the USS Wisconsin BB-64. Unlike most WWII ships I have been aboard, this one was active through the Gulf War and launched Tomahawk cruise missiles. That means that she is in good shape. They retained a few Tomahawks and brought them home even though all the other ships launched all they had. Speculation states that perhaps the ones that came home were not exactly conventional explosives. The Navy won’t confirm or deny. Whilst I was doing the history thing, Scurv guarded Bear and the boat. He did a fine job and all aboard did some serious napping. That is a fine was to deal with the weather gods.

Picture is from the bridge of the USS Wisconsin. No wonder the city let them have the best slip
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.