SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Setting Priorities

13 April 2014 | Solomons,Md.
Up early as usual, Scurv insisted on a trip to shore for a business meeting. So, he tolerated my slow response by pushing open the companionway door and waiting by the gate to jump on the dock. There were no souls on shore for him to sniff. Just as we got back aboard we heard the sounds of the National Anthem from the Pax River Naval Station for their morning hoist of the colors. That station is a good two miles from our dock. What a great way to start the day.

The engine started as if it was in service for the past six months. That was a good surprise. Not all surprises were good. As we have commissioned various systems aboard, we found the usual suspects for misbehavior. Anyone who has read our blog for any time at all know that Little Prick, our boat troll, has found an ally in making work for me; the heads on this boat. So far as I can tell, the last completely dependable head on a vessel was literally just under the bowsprit on square riggers in the 19th century. Since they sailed pretty much downwind only, the heads were self cleaning by sea water and dependable. After that, the whole technology went down hill. We should say that we have yet to try the big boat technology but have attempted to upgrade the original equipment. The aft head has been unused for over three years since the space was repurposed to storage. In fact, a recent visitor mentioned that they did not know we had two heads aboard. I decided that the head in there should be replaced and tore the old one out. The sparking replacement arrived on time and I started the replacement. The very same hour as I started, Bear announced that "something" was amiss with the one I replaced last year after the Annapolis Boat show. What timing! Ah, I remember the head wars from last year. I don't think the Admiral would accept the methods of the good old days so I am working on my advanced degree in head repair------ AGAIN.

We had the great pleasure of a visit from some back home friends. It is always good to see folks with whom we have sailed years and that may soon be joining us on the Chesapeake. Actually, they have a great deal more experience sailing this bay than we since they lived here for several years.

The mooring field at this marina is in place and until today, unused. We met a boat from Block Island actually heading back from the Abacos. Methinks it might be a mite early to get back that far north, but their arrival is signaling that the migration may be starting. They sailed yesterday into some lively, cold and rainy weather. That is the price for pushing against a stubborn winter/spring.

I get to work on the midship head again today. Some genius installed a through hull fitting serving the head in such a position that merely removing the hose took several hours. I could not get my brick hand into the space to pull the hose off. I sure needed a small monkey to do that for me.

So, here is the status of some must do projects:

Toe rails- one stripped and the other untouched
Midship head- hope to finish it today
Engine compartment blower- should receive today and in the que to do whenever motivation strikes me
Anchor Windlass control repair- gotta lose some girth to be able to get into the anchor locker to work. Might be a while on that one.
Mainsail- still waiting on the loft to finish the new one- someone else's procrastination, not mine
Switch out of roller genoa- in the store room waiting for my motivation and a calm day
Get the rib off the deck- sometime this week. Once in the water, our forward overhead hatches will admit light below.

The remaining list is long and boring. Again, motivation is the key. As long as the barometer is jumping around and rain comes every day or so, this part will take a bit of time. Being back aboard is now a function of weather.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.