Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Finally Internet Post 4

28 December 2016 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
Bill/Still windy
It's now Friday, December 23rd and it's our 45th wedding anniversary! Hard to believe it's been that long and here we are anchored in another harbor.
We pulled up the hook about 0900 and took off around the northwest corner of Antigua and moved over to Davis Bay, about a 10 mile trip. Of course Mother Nature played her silly games and made us have to motor the entire way. There was no way to ever get any wind in the sail. We first stopped at Maiden Island which is supposed to be great for sea shells. What we found was a party boat anchored just off shore with water slides and jumping platforms and loud music blaring from speakers. It costs $135US a day but you get all the booze or soft drinks you can handle and a box lunch. It was quiet when we pulled up but quickly there was activity with a man jumping on one of the trampolines and music suddenly coming from the speakers. While we put the anchor down, it didn't stay there very long(as we motored away, the music stopped and all was quiet again) and came right back up and we moved another mile to Davis Bay with us anchored behind numerous houses along the shore. We're parked in peoples back yards with no access to shore with our being on someones personal property. It's strange to be in someones back yard and the houses--wow, each seems to try and out do their neighbors each their own little or big mansion with lots of chaise lounges in the back along the water and each with it's own "infinity" pool. We'll only be here one night and be moving along tomorrow.
Well, we moved along to Great Bird Island but we had to wait til the sun was in a better position where we could see the coral heads that live in the bay we are in. Not many but it only takes one to ruin your day and since we already had that when we were back in British Columbia in 2009, we'd prefer not to do it again. We had a nice breakfast and waited till about 1100 before we took off. When looking for coral heads, it helps to have the Sun above you and not at an indirect angle. They show up better that way as light spots in the dark water. While it was only about 1.7 miles from where we were anchored, safety always pays. Before we left Davis Harbor, two boat had joined us coming over from Jumby Bay, right around the corner. Neither liked where they had originally dropped their anchor and both pulled it back up and repositioned it. I guess they liked their new spot as they were going to spend the night, again like us, in someones back yard. I expect that they will be coming over to Great Bird tomorrow and join us though we have never been introduced.

When we got to Great Bird, we found several mooring buoys so instead of dropping the hook, we grabbed one for tonight so I can replace the rubber snubber on our snubber line. One broke several days ago and needs replacing. I still have one left so it will go on tomorrow. We have two catamarans with us in this anchorage. Once on another mooring and one on his anchor. While I dove on the mooring(a whole 7 feet down), and it looked fine(set up to hold a 60 foot boat)I still trust my anchor and chain and will disconnect from the mooring tomorrow. During the afternoon, we put on snorkeling gear and took a look around the boat. There is a reef about 200 feet north of us so we gave it a look. We've seen better and will investigate more over the next few days. There are dive and snorkel boats along with tour boats visiting the island throughout the day. Some in the water and some hiking the hillsides of the island. What the hikers are looking for, we have no clue but will find out in the next day or so. Meanwhile, it just keeps blowing(15-25 knots) and raining off and on throughout the day and night. It's raining right now(2200). Tomorrow is Christmas so this is where we will be this year. Last year, we had just left Durban, South Africa for the mad dash to get past the Cape of Good Hope. Over the last 8 years, we've had our holidays all over the world. 2008--Port Townsend, Washington, 2009--Mexico, 2010--Mexico, 2011--Fiji, 2012--just left Tuvalu for Micronesia with blown engine, 2013--Kotakinabalu, Malaysia on Borneo, 2014--Phuket, Thailand, 2015--Just left Durban for the run to Cape town, 2016--here at Great Bird Island, Antigua.

As for this Christmas, well Mother Nature is still letting it blow and blow and blow--18 to 25 knots our of the northeast. We're on the lee of the island so at least the swells are minimal but the wind generator on the stern is valiantly trying to keep up with the wind pumping vilest into our batteries. The two catamarans with us(one with two small kids) have gone ashore or the small beach around the point. With this pressure zone coming in, Tracy's got a big headache so we have just been resting till it passes. Dinner was chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. We had planned on roasting a whole chicken but it refused to be defrosted in time and with Tracy's headache, it's better to wait till tomorrow. The two boats in Davis Bay, where we had left yesterday, didn't bother to come over here today. The winds have stirred up the water so badly it's hard to see the coral bommies that litter the bay here. Much easier to see if it's a bit calmer. Maybe tomorrow but I don't think too many boats are moving around today.

Sleeping in the stern stateroom last night(and many other nights) with the wind howling past the boat and making the wind generator spin makes it feel like it's a nasty Denver blizzard outside. I pulled up an extra cover sheet so I could snuggle into it to give me the feeling of staying warm though it's still in the high 70s inside. That wind just makes you think it's really cold when it's not.

Tomorrow, when Tracy is feeling better, we'll be exploring the area--snorkeling and hiking the islands. Should be fun.

Well, it wasn't fun. Most of the coral that was there was dead or dying. Lots of sand and grass but very little worth taking the time to see. Add in the wind as well as the current and it was a rather quick snorkel. Just glad we didn't pay come company to take us there. We talked to another boat that's been here almost as long as we have and that has gone out and snorkeled just about everywhere and they agree with us. Just not worth the time. We did a morning trip and then the other couple came over to introduce themselves and in talking, we discussed the coral. Getting their input made us make up our minds not to bother to go out again so up came Puff and everything was stowed. We'll be taking of tomorrow for Deep Bay for a day and then down to Jolly Harbour where with luck, I'll get internet and can get all these posts out. We hope to be on our way and out of Antigua by sometime Thursday. Another big front is on it's way and we'd like to be gone before it gets here.

It's now Tuesday the 27th and we are back at Deep Bay. Just 12 miles but all with the wind in a non sailable position so the engine was put into use. We had hoped to sail but the first part of the trip was through a bunch of coral bommies so we needed to be able to change course if we needed to without having to worry about the sail position. Once we rounded the northwest corner of Antigua, the winds were close enough to the bow that again, we couldn't sail. We were back in Deep Bay before 1100 and nicely at anchor in about the same place we had anchored before. It's now well into the evening and there are 14 of us in the bay. Still room for more but if you are passing from the outside, it looks like it's full so some boats passed us by. Waters only about 8 feet deep and with a sandy bottom, our Rocna bit in just fine. A catamaran came in earlier and from what we saw, they don't have a clue on how to anchor a boat. It doesn't look like a charter but they seem to act like it is. When they came in, the wife at the bow. Once they stopped, they let out about 20 feet of anchor when the water was 10 feet deep. They seemed amazed when they dragged backward in the wind. They pulled up the anchor and we watched as not a lot of chain came up before the anchor did. They repositioned and dropped it again, all the while the wife was giving her husband hand signals as to where to steer the boat. With the boat backing up in the wind, it wasn't like there was any control available. Again, they dragged their anchor. As they were right beside us, it was easy to watch. No to properly anchor, you need to let our a minimum of three times the depth of the water. A two to one just isn't going to make your boat stay in place. On the third try, the anchor finally bit in but they still moved backwards. About a hour later, the husband and son came forward and let out more chain(well duh!!) and the finally stayed in place. They both seemed quite proud of themselves and gave each other a high five that they had finally stopped moving. We're just glad they are beside us and not in front of us. At least if their anchor breaks loose they will simply drift out of the anchorage and not hit another boat.
Tomorrow we are off for Jolly Harbour for some last minute provisioning, getting clothes washed and checked out. We will be leaving Antigua early on Friday morning and heading for the US Virgin Islands. We should be in by sometime early Saturday afternoon if the winds and weather holds.
We're now finally back in Jolly Harbour and are getting our laundry done. Not cheap but it saves time and water on board. Finally found the internet place open so I can post.
The picture is the view from the Fort Barrington beside Deep Bay. I was actually able to hike up it. My back and legs are getting better finally!










Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats