Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Back to work.

13 January 2017 | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI
Bill/ Partly cloud and blowing hard.
It's been another busy day today(Thursday). After all the work we did on Sunday and Monday, we took the last two days off. It was just too windy(gusts to 30 knots) and with showers thrown in for fun, it just seemed the thing to day. Today on the other hand, was all work. We started out cleaning up areas on the boat that had gotten, well, out of hand. The big thing was my workbench. I had all kinds of stuff all over the top. Sail hardware, glues, screw drivers and wrenches. If it came off the workbench, well it never got put away. I have a real problem sometimes getting things back where they belong. Today, first thing was to try and make order out of chaos. The DuoGen was making strange noises again last night in the big winds so I grabbed some grease and took the blade unit apart and re greased it and put it back together.

Our American Flag has seen better days with the blue just about washed out of the fabric. It's now more red, white and grey instead of blue. Going through our boat parts box under the stern berth, we found a spare so down came the old and up went the new in all it's glory. Looks really good flying from the stern. We've had our last flag for years and while the seams and binding was fine, it was looking the worse for wear.

Next, on to the engine. Our poor overheating engine. One of the hoses(from the fresh water pump to the oil cooler) had a bit of a kink in it. Too soft a hose or too tight a bend. It needed replacing with a stronger, harder hose so it was next on the list. Off came the hose clamps and off came the hose. We'd bought a bit of replacement hoses a few days ago and out they came. One chunk was the perfect length so there was no problem. Before we changed out the hoses, since it was off, it was the perfect time to change out the oil in the injector pump. It was one of the easiest jobs of the day. With the old hose off, I had no problem getting in to do the change. I drained out the used oil into a large measuring jug to see how much we had in there. The answer was about 13 ounces. Twelve is the normal with us. We waited for our currency convert man to show us and once he did, the check was presented to the two of us. We left the rest for tomorrow.

We had a noodle concoction with chunks of chicken thrown in all served on a bed of mashed potatoes for lunch. When we finished, I headed into the engine room. It was time to get down to some serious work before the new water pump, thermostat and mixing elbow showed up. It was time to take off the "mixing elbow". It's where the engines hot exhaust gets mixed with the cooler raw water that comes in to keep Zephyrs engine cooler and then gets blown out the exhaust pipe on the stern. Once we had it off, we found that it was about 20% clogged with lots of what looked like big carbon chunks. Out it came and up on deck to get as much chiseled out as possible. It's not a great picture but it shows some of the buildup. Years ago when we first bought Zephyr, there was a foiled pouch in one of the tool boxes that got left on board. It was marked as the gasket for this piece. I pulled it out and now I could put it back once cleaned. I had to sit on the back deck and chisel out as much of the build up as I could. With it sort of clean, I attached the gasket and the hoses and that job was done. While it's not spotless, it will work fine till the new one I bought on Monday shows up. I'll be putting it in storage till the time is right and the need exists for a replacement. With tons of salt water pouring through it every time the engine is run, it's corrodes quickly is after time will blow a hole through its casing. We started in on the job just after 1300 and weren't done till about 1630. I was a mess with oil, grease and engine filth(lots of dark carbon chunks). Out came the Lava Soap and off to the showers. I needed to jet this grime off me as well as any odors that were attached to my skin(sweat).

We only ran the engine for a few minutes to make sure that all the hoses I'd worked on didn't leak as well as the gaskets on parts I'd used. Tomorrow, Friday, we will run it for a good while to see if what we did made any difference.

Last night was a blustery night with wind coming and going in the bay. One big blast hit us just about at midnight and things went flying inside and on deck that were not tied down as the wind laid us over at quite a steep angle. It's supposed to continue blowing like this till early next wee. Guess we will see.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats