Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Boat bound on Wednesday.

25 May 2017 | Bonaire
Bill/sunny with winds
We are sort of boat bound today(Wednesday) as the winds have picked up from yesterday and are now howling past our boat in the high 20s with forecasts of them getting into the 30s. The sound reminds me of sitting inside our home in Colorado, listening to a Winter blizzard come through. While it in the high 80s, the sound still can send shivers through our bodies as we sit here sweating. Not a bad time to go out scuba diving if your dinghy or dive boat is big enough but there are white caps running all through the bay. Just about everyone is sitting still on their boats hoping it will lessen up as time goes by. Two days ago, Buoy Weather had it for a "Danger" day up from just a "Small craft advisory". So here we sit, reading stories on the internet and on our Kindles. I've no idea if these high winds are the "normal" for Bonaire but a man we spoke to when we were golf carting it around the island told us that he was tired of the slow winds we had been having recently. He was more than ready for the "normal" winds to return. Maybe this is "normal"?

I took out one of our frozen chicken breast and Tracy is looking for some wonderful way of using it. Time will tell. I just found out--it's going to be Yellow Curry with chicken!!! It doesn't get much better than that!!!

Meanwhile the wind generator is spinning nicely on the stern and we are putting off running our generator till later so we will have plenty of volts to get us through the night. I'm happy to report that Digicel finally straighten out our accounts and we have gone back to a "normal" higher speed internet from a VERY slow internet. It only took three trips in(and suffering in their air conditioned office) but that still better than having to go through everything we did with AT&T back in the US Virgins. What a pain they were.

Yesterday(Tuesday) as I wandered through town on my way to the Customs and Immigration office, I found myself surrounded in tourists!! A cruise ship had come in and there were more people milling around down town than I've seen is a week or more. It's slower time here now with apparently only one smaller cruise ship coming in one day a week so all the vendors are set up and ready to go long before the first passenger ever gets off the boat. The people we rented the golf cart from last week told me they are up at 0430 and taking their carts to the dock and all set up by 0700. These ships stay till about 1700 when they toot their horn and and take off for their next port of call. We didn't check to see where they are going but figure by their course, it's either Curacao or Aruba. It was great seeing all the shops open in town. While it's a tourist destination for scuba divers, and it does generate a ton of money for the island, the occasional cruise ship is a nice boost. Bonaire, other than their diving and the occasional beach has little to offer the typical tourist.

It's now 1430 and I have the generator running on the stern. It's still blowing in the 20 knot range so the DuoGen is spinning nicely but I want to make sure, should the wind die as it does most nights, that we still have plenty of power left in our six batteries. When it's blowing, the volt meter shows us with plenty of volts but when the wind slacks off, even for a couple of seconds, the volt meter shows that the voltage is down and the batteries need charging so that's just what we are doing. It's been partly cloudy all day and the winds have stayed strong making every ones boats swing around on the end of their mooring lines. I went out a short time ago to check ours. We have the original two that the country supplies going down to the three big weights on the bottom and then the extra line we put down there attached to one of our shackles. The original two lines are in much better condition than the ones that were on our earlier mooring ball when we first arrived bacl on the 8th and that alone makes us feel safer. Add on one of our own lines and it's even better. We sleep well at night but still on guard should something happen. We do make sure to close up all the hatches at night since we never know when the occasional squall might sneak in on us(and it has).

Tomorrow, should the wind die off a bit, we will be off for more scuba diving. Meanwhile we sit and read and listen to the generator for another hour or so.

The picture today is of the fruit and veggie section at the big super market we visited a bit over a week ago when we had the golf cart. Best selection we've seen in a while and oh so fresh.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats