Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Watching Irma go where we had been.

06 September 2017 | Spanish Waters, Curacao
Bill/ light breeze for a change.
It's now Tuesday and we just moved Zephyr again but I'll get to that later.

At the last post, it was early Sunday and what a nice day it was. We went over in the afternoon and visited with Johanna and Timo of IIdress, a couple we met over a year ago when we were in Grenada. It's a small world out here and from time to time we run into friends from many miles ago. Like us, since we last saw them, they have been all over the Caribbean sight seeing and doing work on their boat. They've be in Curacao for a while having passed by Bonaire when we were there. Johanna had ordered in a set of Mexican Train Dominos and they had finally come in so we went over to break them in and spend a nice afternoon talking. A nice way to spend an afternoon.

Yesterday, Monday, we were off for the free trip to the grocery store to replenish the fresh fruits and veggies we've consumed one the last week or so and then back to Zephyr, where i left Tracy and headed for the Chiropractors office. When I'd visited him last week, I'd made an appointment for 1400 and it was going to take me while to get there. I caught the 1130 bus getting me into Willemstad just after 1210 with the next bus I needed leaving at 1215. A few steps and I climbed on and off we went again. Traffic was miserable and it took close to 40 minutes to get over a trip that should have taken about 20. I had time for a quick lunch at Subway, just down the road from the office and made it in plenty of time. I was the second person in the office and it quickly filled with about 6 people waiting to be seen. As expected the others were seen before me as they were all locals(repeat traffic long after I'm gone). I finally got in at 1430 and after some messaging, a really cold compress put on my shoulders and a really big neck cracking, I was on my way just about 1510. I crossed the street and caught the bus back to town at 1520. I had one more stop to make before hoping to catch the 1600 bus back to the docks. I needed to send a letter back to the US. The Post Office is right around the corner from the bus station so no problem. It's a huge post office with a mammoth waiting area. As I entered, I was told by a guard to take a number as waited. I was the only person in the huge waiting area!!! I took my number and watched as the three clerks sat behind their windows and did nothing but chat between themselves. About five minutes later, they stopped and my number was called. Being the only one in the room, it was easy to see that I was the next(and only) person in line(no line). In the end, it coast $6.84 guilders, a bit under $4.00 to get the letter sent out. Did she take the letter? Heck not,I had to take it across the room and stick it in one of the three slots and off I went to catch the 1600 bus which I did and was back on board about 1645. Lots of traveling yesterday.

Today(Tuesday), we've had winds from just about all the points of the compass. Off our port side is a small float(old oil jug)that marks a submerged rock that you really want to stay away from. At six feet deep, it would still hit our keel if we got to close. The winds were pushing us closer and closer so to solve the problem, we took down the tarps we put up earlier to keep the Sun off us and started the engine and motored forward till we got the anchor up and maneuvered into a new position where the rock was away from us. Didn't take long and I put out about 120+feet of chain in water that's just 17 feet deep so we have lots of chain out and are now much farther from the buoy/rock with the anchor buried in the sand/coral/grass bottom and with lots of pulling back, it's set nice and deep below us. Once settled, out came the tarps and we are nice and protected from the heat of the Sun. Will hit in the mid 90s today with Irma sucking most of the winds out of the islands.

It's now Wednesday It's been darn close to flat calm here for the last two days. We could see the full moon reflected in the bay as it came up. Unusual since we normally have 15-20 knots of wind. With the calmness, we've put up our two tarps. One is one of the aluminized tarps that covered about 2/3 of the boat and a second much smaller canvas tarp that covers from the mast to the anchor locker. We hung Puff from the side last night so we could leave some of the deck hatches open to get more air flow. It's been running in the mid 90's with a heat index of well over 100 and is nasty out in the Sun.

We did another free bus run to the grocery store this morning and came back and immediately tarped up all over again. Winds are less than 9 knots so all the protection we can get for Zephyr will keep her cooler. My hats off for all the people up in the British Virgins and US Virgin Islands with Irma just about to hit them as I'm typing this post. Winds in the 180 range and a category 5 storm is going to destroy the islands. We were there just last January through May and had a great time but expect most of what we saw and visited to be devastated by this storm. Our prayers go out to all the people of the islands. Tracy is staying on line constantly checking to see the progress of the storm and to watch out for any that follow that might come our way. We've dodged a few bullets since we arrived in the Caribbean.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats