Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Topping up the diesel and a soggy cat!

23 December 2017 | Bahia Del Sol, El Salvador
Bill/Sunny and hot
It's now Friday the 22nd and we just finished topping up our diesel tanks. While there is a "fuel dock", it looks to shallow and too confined a space to even try and get Zephyr into the dock. Instead, we pulled out our jerry cans and two wheeled dolly and dragged them back and forth. Empty one way and full the other. There's a story behind the cans we use. In the US as is most of the rest of the world, if you've seen one jerry can, you're pretty much seen them all. Not so with Zephyr. We have two of the traditional "yellow" diesel jerry cans and then we have two special cans that we got from our friends on Night Fly(Warren & Maria). We both crossed from the Maldives to the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean at almost the same time(2014 I think). It was a slow crossing with us taking 18 days, what we thought was a new record for slowness but Night Fly took 19 days and ran out of fuel along the way! There was just about no wind for most of the trip and since we were conserving fuel, there was one day we actually went backwards due to the current. As for Night Fly, once they ran out of diesel, they were lucky enough to have a container ship from Shell Oil pass close enough to radio and ask for help. With Maria at the helm and Warren on the lifelines, the men on the ship slowly lowered 220 liters of fuel down to them on lines as poor Night Fly was thrown around right next to the hull of this huge ship. In the end, Night Fly got their fuel, filled their tanks and took off for the Seychelles a day or so behind us. Once in the Seychelles, they offered us two of the blue plastic fuel containers(used to hold fuel oil)and we have used them many times since to keep our tanks full when there isn't a fuel dock available. What sets them apart from "normal" jerry cans is that they can be stacked, one on top of the other for transport on a two wheel dolly.
When we left Panama, we filled no only our fuel tanks(hold about 220 gallons) and our four jerry cans(two blue and two yellow)for an additional 20 gallons. Not knowing what the weather was going to be(wind or no wind), we wanted to make sure we had plenty of fuel should the need arise. If you've been reading our previous posts, you know that we've had just about no wind since we left Panama, about 900 miles ago so we have used a good bit of fuel. Panama was about $2.65 per gallon. Costa Rica was $4.01 and now in El Salvador at $3.10 a gallon. We used the 20 gallons we had in our jerry cans and bought an additional 35 gallons and our tanks are full with one of the jerry cans refilled with 5 new gallons. When you measure how much fuel you have in the tanks using a wooden dowel with ink circles drawn around it at 1 inch intervals it's hard to know exactly how much fuel is needed to top up the tanks. As it ended up, we had five gallons more than our tanks would hold so that jerry can now sits in the forward locker for when we need it.
With the temperature in the high 80s, I was needless to say a sweat soaked mess once we got the project done and everything cleaned up so it was off to the showers for me. I was a mess but now I'm nice and clean and feeling better.
It's now almost 1700 and we are sitting up at the pool relaxing with some other cruisers that have made themselves at home here in Bahia Del Sol. They anchor off the marina or take one of the many mooring balls that have been placed and maintained by Bill who manages the resort and comes out in an boat to escort cruisers in over the sand bar that can block boats from coming into the estuary. It's a nice place to spend a much cooler afternoon now that the Sun has started to set.

It's now Saturday morning and Snowshoe just fell off the boat! As I was sitting down to breakfast, I looked out the port light and saw him walking on the outside of the lifeline nets we have around the boat. He was tottering on top of the teak toerail. Suddenly, he was gone with a noise of lots of scratching nails on what ever he could grab. Tracy went running onto the deck just as he pulled himself back to the rail. He'd grabbed one of our fenders that's covered in fabric on the way down but his rear end was down in the rushing water. Being on an estuary, the water can reach a good 4 knots and he's lucky he caught it since if he would have been quickly swept away in the rushing current. Tracy grabbed him with Blue looking on with big buggy eyes staring at him. I grabbed a bucket for him to be put in as Tracy got to the companionway with a cat dripping with brackish water off his feet. He was not impressed. Tracy put him in the bucket(further humiliating him) and took him into the strewn head for a quick shower as I went forward for a towel. Just to show Tracy how impressed he was, he clawed all across her back just to show her how upset he was. Once washed and in the towel and dried(sort of) we carried him forward to the main salon. While all this was going on, Blue was following us around the cabin staring at Snowshoe with big buggy eyes, not taking her eyes off him for a second. She just knew we'd brought another cat on board and she was not impressed and she wanted him and us to know that. Once I put him down, there was a sniffing fest going on with each cat sniffing each other. Blue then started her growling and hissing and took a left hook at him snatching a wad of his dry hair. We, of course, separated them and sent them to their corners waiting for the next boeing bell to run so they could com out swinging. Blue is up on the top of the back of the settee and Snowshoe has plunked himself in the forward head(where he spends a great deal of his day catching up on his 22 hours a day sleeping) and has gone back to sleep. Blue meanwhile is ever vigilant not about to catch any shut eye. She just knows something is going on and since she owns the boat(just ask her)she going to protect her territory. As to how he got outside the net, well that's anyones guess. There are some gaps up and the bow but the majority of the net comes clear down to the deck. Will he try it again? Sure, this isn't the first time he's done this. He did it while we were in the Philippines and Blue did it while we were in Fiji. The grass is always greener on the far side of the net and being cats, well they need to explore and see what's out there beyond the net. The saga continues. It's going to be an interesting day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats