Change of plans.
13 January 2010 | San Evaristo, Baja Calfornia Sur, Mexico
Well, we changed plans this morning and upped the anchor and headed for San Evaristo. No real reason other than we felt that it might be even better protected than Isla San Francisco. We were right up along the side of a cliff where any winds would go pretty much over Zephyr, but the wrap around of waves could have caused us some problems.
Of the fourteen boats that were there during the night, all but three(including us) were gone by 0800, scattered to the winds. Most were heading back to La Paz to wait out the storm that is coming. Plus, most had already paid for long term usage of a slip at the different marinas there and if you don't use them, well it's just money down the drain. That is one drawback to being in a marina. You've paid good money for a slip and you feel that you have to stay there rather than going out and staying somewhere for an extended period of time. You're sort of trapped by the "marina syndrome".
Anyway, we upped the anchor and headed out North(no wind this time) having breakfast as we motored toward San Evaristo. The weather forecast from Don Anderson(broadcast on SSB on the Amigo Net at 0720)the weather guru says that we should expect a "six engine freight train of weather" on Thursday morning through Friday afternoon all along the coast from San Francisco South to the tip of the Baja with winds down here hitting in the mid 30 knot range with waves to match. YUCK!!
Since it was only 9 miles and with no wind, we made great time and pulled in by 1000 and dropped the anchor(24 54 772 N 110 42.201 W) Another boat that was in Isla San Francisco with us arrived ahead of us and grabbed a spot. There are two little bays at San Evaristo with the North one being a bit more protected. There was already one boat in the North Bay and spaces were getting taken fast. Just after we arrived, Pam Demonium dingied over from the other bay and decided to join us since it appeared more protected. Some of the other boats that had been there the night before had left and they wanted in with us. Over they came and down went their anchor. Shortly after their arrival, another boat from Isla San Francisco also showed up. They had tried to sail up but when what wind there was died, they started their engine and motored in. We're now up to five boats and there isn't much room for more with out it getting really crowded. Another smaller boat showed up about an hour ago and anchored in the other bay along with another boat that had already been there.
I dove on the anchor ad made sure it was well dug in. While out there, I also dove on Pam Demonium's anchor. It's also well set for what is coming. Supposedly, the storm is supposed to be gone by late Friday so we will see how it goes. We want to go back to Isla San Francisco for a bit longer stay and do some hiking. For now, here we sit and here we stay, well protected and secure.
If you are coming South any time soon, it would be best to bring two Mexican flags that you are required to fly as the "courtesy" flag of your host nation. With the winds that we have experienced, one won't last long down here. So invest on a second one for when the first is shredded. It doesn't take long in good winds. Ours is being restitched as I type this by our resident stitcher. Our flag for the Seven Seas Cruising Association is also in a sorry state of tatters.
Well ,that 's about it for now. We'll let you know how the storm goes tomorrow.