Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Into Puerto Escondido

07 December 2010 | Puerto Escondido
Sunny and warm
We took off last Thursday at 0900 heading back into the Sea of Cortez. Having been hauled out last June 12 for a short Summer respite ended up at well over 5 months. Oh well, our house looks better and many things got taken care of on Zephyr before she had her hull splashed on November 27th just after Thanksgiving and my return from Denver. We took up residence at one of the slips in the marina till Monday when we moved out to a buoy. Cheaper and more fun than staying in a marina. We finally disconnected from the buoy and headed out on December 2 for a return trip to the Baja. A lot more fun and more anchorages than simply heading back down the mainland coast.

Our first stop was San Juanico, an old and favorite stop on our trips up and down the Baja coast. For the most part, it was a straight shot at 180 degrees or due South from San Carlos(27 56.699N 111 03.743W). At 100 miles, an easy trip. Winds were forecast to come from the Northwest so it would be a nice sail. We figured a normal running speed of 4 to 5 knots which put us coming in early the next day. As luck would have it, the best laid plans normally go astray. Instead, we had one of the best sails we have ever had. After motoring for just over a hour, we hoisted the sails once we were clear of the coast and zoom, off we went. Winds were in the mid to high teens with gusts into the low 20 knot range. Zephyr was in her element and with a nice clean bottom(no scuz) we were regularly hitting into the high 7 knot range with our max speed at 9.5 knots. We zipped along with all three sails up--main, genoa and jib having a great time. At sun down, we knew we would arrive in the middle of the night. Not our normal procedure. It has just about been a standing order that we only enter any harbor during daylight hours for safety sake. Not this time.

When we were about 2 miles off shore, I went below and turned the key to start the engine to bring us into the bay. Tracy hit the start button with NO effect. Just a slow grind and then nothing. There was a problem with our starting battery. OK, I hit the switch that joined all of our batteries--house and start banks into one big bank of batteries. After a minute or so, with a turn of the key, she started up. I'm sure you could hear my sigh of relief clear into the harbor. Into gear and on we pushed. We had been here before so we already had a good feel of the bay as well as points in our chartplotter as to where we had anchored before. There were a few other boats in the bay as we pulled in but none near our last anchorage spot so we just pulled in and I dropped the anchor(26 22.096N 111 25.813W). Tracy put the engine to reverse so we could set the anchor and NOTHING happened. We had no reverse gear. For those that have been following our posts over the last few years know we are already on our fourth transmission since we set off in July of 2008. With the anchor down we weren't going any where so I headed for the engine compartment on the double. Tracy had heard some strange noise as we crossed the Sea of Cortez but I had looked at the propeller shaft and coupling joint and all appeared fine. What I had missed was where the propeller shaft joins the transmission. There are normally four bolts holding the shaft to the transmission. As I watched, the fourth and lost bolt fell out!!! The transmission was fine, we simply weren't attached to it. This was not something that normally happens but as Murphy's Law would have it, if it could, it will happen and it clearly did.

Both of us were tired after such a sail but we knew we couldn't go to bed with no way to get us out of trouble is something should come up during the rest of the night. So out came the tools and I changed into cloths already stained from previous jobs and dug in with Tracy at my side. I gathered the bolts and a part that was a cap to hold grease inside the fitting and went to work. The cap was bent but with a wrench(no hammers were handy) I pounded on it till it would fit back in place. Far from perfect,it would fill the bill till I can get a replacement. Back the the compartment behind the engine and in I went again bolts in hand. About 30 minutes later, we were all bolted back together. We coaxed the engine back to life and tried out the transmission and propeller shaft. It rotated just fine. Job done just after 0400. We fell into bed and awoke several hours later

Next job, fix the battery connections for the start battery. Off came each wire which was then brushed with a wire brush to clean away any corrosion and then each connection was coated with my new copper based grease to help with the connections and all the wires were reattached. Since then, no problems have arisen at least with the engine, transmission or propeller shaft. The forward head(commode) on the other hand has given us some concerns. It won't flush.

I took it apart and changed out the "joker" valve. This gizmo keeps what ever you have flushed out out. It won't come back. It still wouldn't flush so we emptied the forward locker where the hose goes carries the "stuff" out of the head. With Tracy pumping the pump that forces the "stuff" out of the head, it still wouldn't function. So off with the hose that connects with the tank(and you thought we were out here having fun didn't you)and stuck it in a bucket(gee what fun) and had Tracy pump again. Thank God I have a bad nose! With the hose cleared, we checked the air vent(it was fine) and put it all back together again. Now it pumped fine but what we pumped out and out the hose just came streaming back in. I needed another "Joker" valve to replace the one I had already replaced. It's a good thing I carry spares of just about everything. I finally replace it this afternoon. We still had one functioning head on board so it wasn't critical. She now works just fine.

With a big Norther headed our way, we made plans to head off for Isla Coronado. A Norther is normally a three day event where wind will blow at any were from 20 to 30 knots with no letup. We were well protected in San Juanico but didn't want to spend three more days there. We had already made the pilgrimage to the South shore to look for the rock I left behind last Spring when we were there. It was unlike any rock I had ever seen before. If you check out pictures, there are some there that show it. Unfortunately someone had beaten me too it and it was no where to be seen.

We upped the anchor on Sunday morning and headed for Isla Coronado(26 06.274N 111 16.443W) about 20 miles farther South. Leaving at about 0930, we pulled in shortly after 1400 and dropped the anchor after a very rollie trip south. The winds were from behind us the the seas were full of swells in the 3 to 4 foot range with bigger ones in the 6 foot range coming by to visit every now and then. We rocked from side to side the whole way down the sea. Once at anchor, the winds continued till about 2000 when calm came over the anchorage but the swells continued to rock Zephyr from side to side through the night. Strangly, it remained calm through the night even with the Norther in the forecast.

This morning we took off for Puerto Ballandra on Isla Carmen. A short trip of 8 miles but again in rocky seas that through us all over the place. We pulled in just before lunch and dropped anchor(26 01.204N 111 09.832W). In the anchorage with us was a Liberty 458, a cousin to our boat. It was "Evergreen" that we had met just before we hauled out in San Carlos. They came out a few days before we did. About 30 minutes after we dropped anchor, they took theirs up and headed for Puerto Escondido. We expect to meet up with them there in a day or so weather permitting.

So now we sit here with wind blowing nicely outside getting a few more jobs done inside.

Tomorrow is another day. I guess we will decide what to do then.

OK, it's now tomorrow and we have upped the anchor and set off again. this time, back to Escondido to deliver some Emmitts Irish Cream. We met Dale and Linda on SV Moxie way back when we were tied up to the Police dock in San Diego and came across them again when we got into Puerto Escondido last Spring. Dale loves Irish Cream and could not find any down here in Mexico so while we were in Colorado, we picked him up a nice bottle and have brought so we can deliver it to them. So we upped the anchor this morning and headed out before the supposed Norther starts up again and got here about 1300. We tied up to a buoy and motored in in Puff(our dingy) and got all registered for two days here before we head South again for Agua Verde and on to La Paz in a few weeks. The goal is to be in Puerto Vallarta by the first week in January. From there, we have not a clue as to what or where we will be doing or going. TIme will tell.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats