Bookmark and Share
Around the world with S/V Zephyr
The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.
Credit where credit is due.
Cloudy, windy and rainy
04/10/2013, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM

About 18 months ago, while we were at the Vuda Point Marina, I bought and brought back to Fiji with me 4 Falcon Line Master Snubbers. I'd love to show you. To give you an idea, you take your dock or mooring line and wrap it abound what looks like a long chunk of rubber with holes on the end that the ends of the line go through to hold it in place. As you boat is pushed around at anchor or at a marina, this long chunk of rubber springs back and forth taking lots of the strain off the existing lines. Shortly after we got here, one broke. I contacted Defender where I bought them and they put me in touch with the company. While they would not ship it to us here in Micronesia, they would ship it to my sister in law in Tennessee and she would forward it to us.
It arrived a couple of days ago ready to be put into service.
These snubbers come with a 5 year warranty. That's pretty much unheard of in the sailing world. So my hats off to you for standing behind your product.

| | More
Oh Cr_P! Here we go again.
Cloudy, windy and rainy
04/09/2013, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM

When I was in Colorado, I bought a beautiful brass 3 inch gate valve to close off the exhaust so no outside sea water can get up the hose and into the muffler and into the engine again. We are finally at the point of installing it. Into the engine room we went and we looked closely at the bracket that holds the fiberglass "U" shaped exhaust elbow. Low and behold, about 16 inches above it is another pair of bolts that look like they will fit the current bracket. Off came the fiberglass elbow and off came the bracket. YES-- it fits perfectly. Someone at sometime moved the elbow and bracket from way above the waterline to being at the waterline. The question is why did they move it? Was it too high so perhaps the pump that pushes the water and exhaust that goes out it isn't strong enough to go up that high? We have no clue as of yet.

Now here's where the title of the post comes to the front. We measured the exhaust hose--3 inches. I specified that I needed a nipple that will fit both the 3 inch gate valve as well as the 3 inch hose. Well, we got the nipple that fits the gate valve but it's 3.5 inches!!!!! It won't fit the exhaust hose!!!! CR-P!!!

Today was the first day Jun had had off, away from us. Since he finished the fiberglass work, he was off for another project for Kumer. I called Kumer and asked him to get in touch with Jun so we could show him our problem. Ten minutes later, Jun was crawling over the lifelines. He looked at the problem and what we had and took the gate valve as well as the plastic nipples and is going to see what he can fashion out of metal at his shop. Why is nothing ever easy when it comes to getting things fixed or replaced on our boat?

| | More
04/09/2013 | KAREN PAGE
I think it's time to come home. We miss you too!
The last couple of days.
cloudy, windy and rainy
04/09/2013, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM

The last couple of days have been full of rain for the most part. Jun took off early on Friday because of a hurt shoulder. We both then took off for town to check the mail and see what groceries we could find. One thing about being out in the middle of no where, you have to check the expiration dates on everything buy. Many, especially cereals and snacks will be out of date. Sometimes the stores will mark them down and sometimes not. We try and check everything we get.

Nothing at the Post Office so we hit a couple more stores and headed back to the boat. Saturday it rained again but there was a bit barbecue again here at the marina. Kumer and Antonia Panuelo were throwing a big barbecue(two roasted pigs) for all the men that are working for him building his new homes. He builds them, then rich foreigners or diplomats rent them and he make a good bit of money because he builds houses like no one else in the island does. They'd do alright on the mainland US. Not palatial by any stretch but he spares little expense to make them a nice place to live. All the cruisers in the harbor and marina(that's just us in the marina)were invited too. It was a great spread of food.

Sunday was another day of rain so not much getting done but we got an invitation from Antonia Panuelo to come to lunch at the "Village". It's been a big attraction here for the last 40 years but when it came time to renew the lease on the property(held by several families) no agreement could be made so they decided to just close it and move back to the US after 40 years. They've lived and raised their family out here. Hope they can blend back in with the folks on the mainland.

Monday, Tracy went to Antonia's house and and did laundry. Started just after 0900 and finally got back at 1700. We had lots of laundry. I meanwhile sat and helped or just sat with Jun and gave him what ever tools or information he needed. Tracy and Antonia showed up just after 1200 and brought me lunch. Nice treat. Other than that, it rained and then it blew big time and then it rained some more.

Today, Jun came just after 0800 and finished the fiber glassing just after 1430. Tracy ahd I spent the next couple of hours putting the stern back together. Restring wires for the fan and replace a lamp that just up and burned it self out. Not the bulb, the entire fixture just up and burned it self out. Fried a circuit board on the main switch. OH well, I pulled out one I'd brought in for a different place and strung the wires and installed it. We rebuilt the mattress(one of those inflatable mattresses) and had a shower to cool off and then dinner. Tracy is taking her shower as I'm typing this so she will be nice and cool for a good night sleep.

Tomorrow, we tackle the exhaust system on Zephyr. We want to make sure what we had never happens again.

| | More
Here we go again!
Raining with clouds and some wind
04/08/2013, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM

A little over a year ago, we had our DuoGen wind power generator rebuilt with we were in Fiji. Had a great guy at Kumar Electronic do the work. Not cheap but the unit made power like it never had before when he was done. A couple of days ago(before all these rains showed up) it started developing a vibration in the long hollow metal shaft that the propeller rides atop of. Today, between downpours and while Tracy was out doing the laundry, I untied the propeller head and tried to get it up and spinning again. Hey, guess what!?!?!?! The bearing appear to be shot all over again!!! So now we need to add that to our list of things to fix before we take off. It's not a necessity as once we have the engine up and running and with our new generator, we will have two other ways of making power for our batteries. It's shining time was when it made just about all the power we needed during the trip up here from Tuvalu. Since then, I guess it's all bee downhill for it all over again. Now we will need to find more bearings and seals and see if we can get it rebuilt all over again. Somehow, I think anything that costs as much as this did should last a good bit longer than a year. Don't you?
Just another brick in the wall I guess.
Meanwhile, as we wait for the engine parts, Jun is finishing up the fiberglass repairs on the stern bulkhead. He should have it done by late tomorrow. With that being said, there are always more thing(add in the DuoGen) that need doing.

| | More
04/08/2013 | Dave McCampbell/Soggy Paws
Hi Bill,
Great to hear the engine is running again. Now that it is done, can you tell us what was the root cause for all the saltwater getting into the engine and what have you done to ensure it never happens again?
Keep up the great posts.
What's up with that?
raining big time
04/04/2013, kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM

The firberglass work is well underway with half of the stern bulkhead removed. Jun just got here and will be laying in the glass today(if it stays dry enough). Hopefully the last parts are on order for the engine because once it's up and running, we have to break it in before we take off. I'll be off to the post office later to see if we got anything. I only go in on Tuesdays and Fridays as the planes come in on Sundays and Wednesday(and sometimes Thursdays).

Now here is my question--why in this era of a cash strapped government, laying off people during the "Sequester" would we redesign the US Penny?
I went to a store a couple of days ago and in my change was a new penny, minted in 2012. Nice and shiny. I looked at it as it has been a while since I've see such a new penny. THE BACK OF THE PENNY HAS CHANGED!!! Why would we spend all that money to redesign a coin that cost's more to make than it's worth? Many island nations we have visited have stopped using their version of the penny all together. We, on the other hand spent millions redesigning ours!! Years ago, we started redesigning the quarter with each state submitting a design. OK, cool. Everyone rushed out and started collecting them. What are they worth today? Probably the same .25 cents they were then. I can understand redoing the paper money. Lots of people like to make them even if they don't work for the US government. But, why redo the penny? I'd love to hear from anyone that has a reasonable idea why we spent needed US money on such a thing.

OK, I'm off my rant. I promise to be back on target with my next post. It will have something to do with boating, or fiberglassing, or rebuilding engines or some such thing.

| | More
One step forward, two steps back.
04/03/2013, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM

This is the third time I've tried to type this entry and we keep loosing internet so I'll keep this brief.
Yesterday, we found that the heat exchanger had blown on the engine. It's like a little round tube that acts as a radiator for the engine. The previous mechanic had left it in Muratic acid to clean it over night instead of the 20 -30 minutes it normally gets and it had eaten away at the copper tubes inside. They lasted about 5 hours of engine time and then collapsed. Now we need to order another one.
We found that the gear mechanism that drives the raw water pump was now vibrating. The same mechanic had destroyed the flange that the raw water pump bolts to and now it was not running straight. We need another one of those too. The engine is off line for at least the next week till the parts get here. I stayed up till midnight so I could get intouch with the parts company and get the parts on order.
We did--I've typed the rest of this post 4 times and keep loosing internet. I' ll put in the rest when it gets more stable. Sorry

We did get the steering up and running so to speak. Zephyr has alway had a problem with being able to turn to starboard at 50 degrees while on 30 to port. We finally found out why. The bolt that connects the hydraulic steering ram to the bracket that goes to the rudder hits the stringer that holds the entire steering assembly. Jun is making a spacer to raise it up enough so it will glide over the stringer and we can steer evenly. Oh, he also installed the hydraulic steering pump that got broken when to previous mechanic took it out. Jun also took it apart and reassembled it since it wouldn't turn after the last mechanic "fixed" it. Now you can turn it by hand with no preoblems.
Today, finish the steering and start on the fiberglass on the stern.
The fun just keeps on coming.

| | More

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

View My Stats