Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Into Sandakan, Malaysia

20 October 2013 | Sandakan, Malaysia
Rain early and now sunny
We both upped our anchors just about 0800 and set off on the next leg of our trip to Kudat. Tonight, we will be staying out in the middle of no where along the north coast of Borneo. About 35 miles east of Sandakan. We'll be stopping in there for probably a couple of days to relax and see the town. With over 450,000 people in the town, it will be big enough for some reprovisioning and some fun. We do have to check in with the Harbor Master and Customs when we arrive. We should be in by late in the afternoon on Sunday so Monday will be checkin day. At least we don't have to check in with Immigration. We got that over in Tawau a couple of weeks ago.

Last night, we anchored off a small island with a good reef to give us some protection from the incoming Northeast swells that we've had for a while. Still have them today along with a more Northerly wind about 7-8 knots. Sure wish we had our Genoa sail to give us some power. We still have to run the engine to keep any kind of speed. I'm going up the mast while we are in Sandakan to see of I can do some repairs. I think I have figured out a way to get it working again. The top aluminum tube of the roller furled is split about 9 inches down. If I cut it off, I might be about to still have enough length to the unit that it can still hold the sail and let us use it. I already have a replacement set of the plastic(of course) bearings that go in the top of the tube. We miss the power.

I've tried to call and email the yard we are going to in Kudat so we can get parts on order but so far, they haven't returned my calls nor my emails. I'll be trying again when we get to Sandakan. If I can get the parts on order now, we won't have to wait so long in Kudat and can continue on to Brunei.

It's a beautiful sunny day with deep blue skies and just a few puffy clouds. Tracy just served up dinner(we eat it at lunch time) of sliced beef, onion, small potatoes(sliced thin), garlic and sliced carrots done in a ancho chili sauce. It was great. A nice cold coke went down with it.

I'll let you know were we end up for the night. Maybe we will have internet though I doubt it as we will be away from towns.

We approached the designated stopping point for the night about 1430. Not bad but totally unprotected from the swell. Richard made the suggestion that we continue on another 20 miles where we might get some coverage from the swells. It was going to be close with the Sun going down but we had good winds(sure wish we had the genoa working)so off we went. We had our main and forestaysail up and with the winds in the 10 knot range, we added in the motor and we were doing about 6.5 knots. We would need it go get where we were going by 1750 when the Sun went down. As we approached the anchorage, we were greeted by numerous fishermen dragging nets and a tug pulling a barge. It was not going to be a straight forward entrance where we needed to go. We dodged several fisherman and their nets and headed into where we thought we might get the protection we needed(05 52.085N 118 18.399E for all you Google Earth fans). At least 20 fishing boats were all around us. Some as close a couple hundred yards. We were on a delta from a local river and we found that the depths the charts we had were VERY inaccurate. They both said we should be in 15-20 feet deep water. Not so. We only had about 5 feet under our keel when we dropped the anchor. The Sun was just setting as we did so. Being a muddy bottom(you could still see the mud flowing past us in the water from the river), we knew the anchor would bite fast and it did pulling the bow straight out ahead of us. Azizah had been behind us most of the day and they had the same fishing boats to deal with. They pulled in about 45 minutes after we did and have anchored off our port side in even shallower water. Yikes! We ended up doing 57 miles yesterday. A long push not having started till 0900, but we are anchored safe and sound and now Sandakan is only 20 miles ahead of us. An easy 4 hour trip(motoring since there is again no wind).

Zephyr is slowing rocking from side to side as the swells come in and hit us broadside. There isn't enough of a breeze to over power the incoming tide so we are stuck in this position as we have been through most of the night. It started raining about 0700 and just let up(now 0830). We expect to be on our way again in about 30 minutes. Internet is spotty at best out here so I'll post this when we get into port.

OK, we made it into Sandakan about 1230 and dropped the hook right in front of the Sandakan Yacht Club. Samia called us a few minutes later on the VHF radio and asked if we want to go ashore and have lunch at the yacht club. Not to turn down a free ride to shore, we said yes and I quickly took a shower to get the sweat off me. We made sure to chain the dinghy to the dock just in case. Richard and Samia had the lamb curry while I had Chicken Curry. Tracy opted for Sweet and Sour Chicken. All of us enjoyed our meals and none of us had to cook anything. Richard returned to their yacht and took a nap while the three of us headed for the big fruit and veggie market in town. We were all out of fresh anything after two weeks. We then crossed the street to the huge shopping mall. It's huge!! Four stories of just about nothing. Most of the shops slots are empty. It's either too new and has never been fully booked or it's too expensive but each floor has it's own type of goods available. One for clothes, one for food,etc. We did find a McDonalds!!! Yea!!! Good old American grease. A Big Mac Meal comes in at under $3.00US!!!! They even have specials from 1700 to 2100 where the food is cheaper!!
We came back and have settled in for the night. Tomorrow, off to the Harbor Master and Customs to get rechecked back into Malaysia. Lots of things to see and do while here so we will just have to see what there is to do. We'll let you know what we find.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats