Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Scrapping the barnacles

12 February 2014 | Tioman Island, Malaysia
Bill
Yesterday morning, Tracy put on her scuba gear and headed down to the prop to clean off all the huge barnacles we've had growing down there since we launched back in November. It's unlike we have ever seen before. My mistake as I said before was to coat the prop with bottom paint instead of lanocoate. It took close to an hour but she got it all done as well as cleaning the other metal pieces on the hull--through hulls as well as the straps that hold the rudder to the keel. All were a mess with there even being a piece of plastic in the through hull that supplies water to the engine. It's all nice and clean now but she also found that the zinc that's attached to the prop was pretty well shot with big chunks out of it. We'd just put it on when we were in Kudat. It's only been about 4 months on a zinc that should have lasted a good year. All we can guess it that there was some stray current in the marina in Kota Kinabalu. It's the only place we have been where there are lots of boats. While snorkeling earlier today, I replaced it with a new one. After lunch, we both strapped on our scuba gear and headed down to one of the reefs that Tracy found under us as she was cleaning the prop. A fun dive with lots of fish of all types and sizes. Many we have not seen before. I even found a turtle wedged under a shelf of coral. There was no way he was going forward and a piece of coral had fallen down beside him that I had to pry out. Eventually I grabbed his shell and pulled him free. Was he actually stuck? I have no idea but it took some work to get him free He wasn't a big turtle but he looked at us and then swam away as fast as it could. After getting back on board, and getting cleaned up, we had a nice relaxing evening watching shows on the computer. This morning, we pulled up the anchor and set off for the main town to check out. We were told by both the Jabatan Laut as well as Customs that they were open seven days a week. When we got to the marina, Jabatan Lauts office was all closed up. Tracy stayed there while I hiked to the ferry terminal. It was also deserted. So I hiked down to their main offices and found not only was Customs closed but so was Immigration. All three had assured us that they were open 7 days a week. Taking advantage of being on a duty free island, we stoped at one of the local stores on the way back to the Marina and bought a case of beer as well as a case of cokes. Add on two bottles of wine and we were set. Still no Jabatan Laut at the marina when we returned. We hopped into Puff and the engine roared to life and promptly quit. I pulled and pulled and it started and quit again. We waited a short while and tried it again and eventually it fired up. While we had been waiting, I talked to another cruiser at the marina that just happened to be working on his outboard. He came down and looked at ours, traced the fuel line and it's filters and thought that the only thing that could be wrong was bad fuel. We filtered it when we put it in the tank and it goes through two more filters before it get to the carburetor so we really hadn't a clue as to what might have been wrong. Eventually we got it started and roared back to Zephyr. We thought we might spend the night anchored off the main town but it was so rolly that we decided to head back for Monkey Bay where we are now. As I sit here in the cockpit we are watching 18 monkeys walking down the beach in shallow water as the tide is out. We saw several yesterday but no where near this many. Tomorrow, we will again head for town and get checked out and head south again. It's time to move on.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats