Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

It's getting old!

03 October 2014 | Puteri Harbor Marina
sunny and hot.
I'm sure you are as sick of reading this as I am of typing it but we are having another delay getting out of here. For those of you that have been following our posts know, we have been having problems with our Mercury 8hp four stroke out board. It's carburetor has been rebuilt at least 4 times just since we have been here. It just never seems to run properly. The first time the mechanic did it was when we were here back in March of this year. He did a great job and it never ran so well as when we got it back. He did tell us that we would need another set of gaskets for it as the ones we had were pretty well shot. When I came back from the US, I brought back a set of gaskets as well as every jet and intake valve available for the motor. Once back, I started the engine on a whim as we had been here for about a month. Guess what---the carburetor leaked! This being no really surprise, I called the manager of the marina and he took the engine along with all the spare parts I'd brought and headed for the mechanics shop. To make a long story short, well, when we got the motor back, it appeared to run badly with a bunch of black smoke coming from the exhaust. Our thoughts were that it had been transported upside down with oil from the crankcase getting into the cylinders. Back it went only to return about two weeks later. It started at the second pull and ran fine. We even stuck it on the dinghy and I zipped all around the marina harbor. We took it off the dinghy and stowed it on the stern. A week or two later, I again started it up. Ran fine for about 5 minutes and died. I squeezed the fuel bulb on the fuel line and it was quite soft. Once hard, I started the engine. Again, it ran for about 5 minutes and stalled. The fuel bulb was soft again. Obviously, the engine was fuel starved.

Off came the motor and off to the shop. It seemed as though it needed either a new fuel pump or the float in the carb wasn't doing it's job of letting more fuel in when it was needed. Back to the mechanic it went. Now here is where it hits the fan. No one out here carries the parts for this motor!! Not in Singapore nor in Malaysia. OK, fine, I'll order them from the US and have them shipped out here. WHOA!!! Suddenly, I find that Mercury won't allow any OEM parts to be shipped out of the US from any of their suppliers!!! Now please keep in mind that this is the last piece of equipment that we need fix before we can get out of here and head back north. The first company I called took the order and would ship them to my mail forwarding service in Florida. The bad part is that they didn't have the fuel pump and it would be a few days before it came in so I called a second company and got it from them as they had it in stock. I'd have it shipped to the same address in Florida and the two orders combined. Guess what? The second company didn't really have the fuel pump in stock and never emailed me to let me know. I had to email them as I got no notice that it had shipped. Apparently, some one else got the part before my order was processed, at least that was what I was told. So, the first order, including a completely new carburetor has shipped and should be to Florida by tomorrow. We still haven't heard from company #2 about the fuel pump.

I wrote Mercury about their policy and was advised to contact a company in Singapore that could help us. I called them this morning only to be told that they didn't have the part and it would take about 2-4 weeks to get it in. They further told me that they couldn't sell me the part anyway as they were not a retail outlet and I'd have to get it ordered from a store, have them put in the order and then it would get shipped in. The man at the distribution center did forward my email address to a supplier in Kuala Lumpur and they sent me an email about what part I needed. Nope,they don't have it in stock either and it would take 3-4 weeks for them to get it in too. Plus, just like the first distribution center, they couldn't sell me the part and I would have to find a retail store and get it ordered by them! Just to add insult to injury, the price they quoted me was twice what it cost in the US!

So, here we sit, waiting again for parts that have to get to our forwarding service and then repacked and resent to us out here. We just might have some of the parts in another 10 days of so if we are lucky but I'm no longer going to hold my breath. It's getting old! I did forward both distribution centers responses back to Mercury but expect no response. Sure wish I'd gone with YAMAHA!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats