Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Not what we expected.

10 February 2015 | Krabi Boat Lagoon Marina
Hot and dry for a change
We pulled up the anchor again this morning for the final 10 mile part of the trip to Krabi Boat Lagoon for our haul out. Again, we got slapped in the face with 20+ knot winds not letting us raise the sails. We really couldn't anyway as we needed to be at the entrance to the river where the marina is at a particular time so we could get over the big sand bar that protects the entrance to the river. We got there at the appointed time and crossed it with at one time, just 1.7 feet under the keel. To say are nerves were on end would be an understatement. As we rounded the final turn for the marina, I called them on our VHF radio to let them know were were coming and were there any boats coming out from the marina. The channel into the marina is so tight that two boats can't pass in it. It pays to be careful. Anyway, after another hard slog, we were asked to stop where we were and not come in yet and to wait 30 minutes or so. In the end, they said they would call us when it was clear. So we slowly made our way up and down the channel for the better part of an hour waiting. We saw another sailboat come out of the channel so a few minutes later, I radioed them to see if the coast was clear. We only got stuck in the mud once when we ran aground. It took a bit of power but we did get off the bottom. We were advised that an tender was coming out to guide us in. As we slowly made out way in, we were surrounded by Mangrove trees on both sides of the boat. When we finally made it to the marina, we had to make a HARD turn to starboard and then a REALLY hard turn to port to get in the slip. Galatea was next door. We last met them clear back in Moorea in French Poly four years ago. Any way, he greeted us at the dock and helped get us in. He came over yesterday to also get hauled. We were greeted with the news that no one was getting hauled out as the entire crew had been sent to Phuket to pick up supplies to finish the swimming pool for the marina. They has promised permanent residents of the marina that they would have the swimming pool running by Chinese New Years and that in just a few days. Boats-- they can wait.

Now the problem with the marina is that it's quite shallow and only a few boats can come and go each day from the lift. The high tide tomorrow is about 1300 and during that tidal spacing, they can only get in or out maybe three boats at best. Well, guess what, we are the number 3 boat!!! We may or we may not get pulled tomorrow. We busted our butts getting here as we had made reservations to get hauled out and work started on our boat on Tuesday. Reservations don't really mean that you will get what you want on the day it's "promised". We were about to drop the lines and go anchor in the river till the manager told us he wouldn't charge us for the time we have to wait. Our biggest problem is that we only have 30 days to get everything fixed and back in the water and out of the country and we are already one week into the 30 days. Every day matters!!.

We had a nice lunch at the restaurant in the marina building and returned to Zephyr to give her a good cleaning to get all the salt off her and get her tidied up after the beating we took coming over here. We pulled out our hose to screw it to the hose bib. Nope, no hose bib on the faucet, just a place to slide a chunk of hose over and tighten with a hose clamp. Sorry, not going to cut off the end of my hose. In the end, we used a neighbors faucet as he had a regular screw on fitting on his faucet. I dragged out our electric cord and attached a new different fitting($300baht please-about $9.00 US) to the cord. Each place we go seems to have a different style of plug for their power poles. Now we have four different power connector fitting for the boat.

I put on the wires and plug it in all to no success. Power was coming out when we attached the positive cable to the negative wires, but if I reversed the wires, it was the same. We had power but the "reverse polarity" light came on. I swapped the wires around in the fitting only to get the same reading. We had the marina send down one of their electrician and even he couldn't figure out what was wrong. Another electrician is due sometime today or maybe tomorrow. No real clue.

I headed back up to the marina office about the hose problem and they sent down one the their worker bees to see what I was talking about. My Thai just isn't up to much I guess. In the end, we hooked out hose to a neighbors bib and washed down poor Zephyrs decks and every thing else that stood a chance of getting salt water on or in it. She looks much better now.

We are in a holding pattern till they figure out if and when we will get hauled out. Let's hope it's tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats