Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

Maybe by late tomorrow we will be done with the deck!

30 June 2016 | Power Boats yard, Trinidad
Bill/ partly cloudy
It's now Wednesday afternoon and again, it's been a busy day. After the VHF radio net this morning, I pulled out the refurbished deck boxes and took them on deck to make sure they fit the now fitted and bolted down granny bars. Both fit just fine, one fit the port side and one fit the starboard side an they are no interchangeable. Each has it's one set of bars to be done right. I dragged them back down below decks as more painting on the deck is due for today. I think thats us at close to five coats in some areas. We then changed out the Fresh Step kitty litter so the kids won't start rebelling as they tend to when the litter is past it's prime.

At 0930, I took off for PriceSmart to swap out the dead microwave. They run from time to time a maxi taxi there and back for cruisers to do some power shopping. Normally it takes five people before they will make the run. Today, someone didn't show up as we only had two of us on the trip. The driver made a call to the company that sets up the trips and we would be picked up by a car instead of a van at 1130. I had the microwave on a cart since leaving the boat and I wheeled it in the "exit" doors next to "Customer Service". The Security Guard told me I needed to come in the entrance and not the exit doors. I turned around and made my way to the entrance door only to be told to go over the Customer Service(where I had just left)desk. I explained about what had happened and they had one of their employees take the unit in the back to check it out. In the end, it took about 30 minutes to get it all sorted out. I headed back with a nice big cart and grabbed another four bags of Fresh Step litter and another microwave as well as a few more items. It took about 15 minutes to get checked out only to find when I looked at the receipt and found they had only charged me for two instead of four bags. I returned to the cashier and showed her the problem(didn't want her to get in trouble). She rang me up for two more and I was off to wait with my taxi companion for our ride to arrive. He showed up just past 1130 and we made our way back to the boat yard. Tracy, meanwhile had been working on the new ceiling panel sanding off the excess epoxy putty I'd slapped on on Monday. It took a good 60 grit paper to get the really bad stuff off and then she worked her way through finer and finer sandpaper smoothing out the panel. It's going to take another coat to get it to look the way we want it to.

Once we had had lunch, we decided to replace the electrical outlet that the last microwave had been plugged into. During the trip here from St. Helena, it had gotten some salt water in it and it was in need of replacing. So, out came one of my spares, a screw driver and a metal brush to clean the contacts on the wires and a short time later, it was replaced. Tracy got stuck with the job of trying to align the power box behind the wall with the screws I was using to attach the outlet. She would try and line it up using a mirror behind the wall as I was slowly sticking the screws into the hole. It took a while but we got it all attached and the new outlet in. The new microwave got unbowed and put in place but with the battery charge running at full bore recharging our batteries and the AC running, we couldn't start it up for fear of it blowing the circuit due to the power draw. We're still waiting for the draw to lessen so we can start it up. We don't want to corrupt the wiring if we draw too much power.

I took the new ceiling panel to the work area(nicely covered incase it rained) and used the Fein Multimaster sanding attachment to get out the epoxy out of the grooves in the panel. It didn't take too long and that small job is done. Tomorrow I'll be mixing more epoxy and putting on a second coat only to sand off the extra on Friday once it's dried.

Today, we found out that Lobster had fired Sleepy, one of our workers. He just wasn't getting the job done though we're not that impressed with Sneezy. Lobster stuck around truly over seeing the workers and doing a bunch of the work himself. About 1100, he was finally ready to do some more spray painting. Tracy was with him on deck as it was getting done. I got back here about noon and once the car was unloaded, I was told that I couldn't come up the ladder in the back as it was just now getting painted. I looked up and said "But it's about to rain!!" Tracy's response was "You have to be kidding!!"as she took off for the forward section of the boat. Nope. Within three minutes of this conversation, it was sprinkling! Tracy grabbed some long sheets of plastic we were using at the bow and came running to the stern suspending the edges over the new paint with the bags of kitty litter we bought yesterday. She was being "proactive" as she calls it. Lobster grabbed an edge and helped cover his new paint. Luckily the rain didn't last long but we will see tomorrow if there is any damage to the new application.

It's now Thursday morning and the work continues. On the way back from the internet room, I stopped and took a look at our new hatches for the stern deck compartments as well as the redone anchor locker hatches. Tracy had told me that the edges of the stern hatches weren't fiberglassed. She thought just one edge on each but I found it to be fiberglassed only on one edge and just the foam core on the other three on both boards. It's like he made one long board and cut it in half giving each end a fiberglass edge. To be properly done, the core must be encapsulated in fiberglass and resin or water will get in and ruin the cores of both. I had a chat with Lobster when he showed up and he's going to put some layers of fiberglass on the edges to close up the cores. He's down below doing that as I'm typing this.

With this resolved, I took the new ceiling panel that Tracy had sanded down off to the workroom. Power Boats offers a great room with workbenches and a huge vice to work at so you don't get wet and you can leave your projects there over night to dry. With the bottles of epoxy and hardener, a small plastic bucket and the "microballoons"(really fine silica like dust) that get mixed in, I was set to go. I poured in about 4 ounces of epoxy and 2 ounces of hardener and stirred it all up. Then in goes a bunch of the balloons and the stirring continues til the "microballons" are well mixed in with the epoxy. I poured the mixture out onto a sheet of plastic and went at it, scooping up a bit here and a bit there onto a plastic spreader and worked my way across the wood panel. With grooves in it, I had to stay out of the grooves if I could and if I missed, use my finger(in a latex glove) to wipe up the excess and slowly put a bit in the troughs. In the end, the panel looks like its covered in whipped cream. I did the edges of the much smaller piece of ceiling that's to go in the hole in the starboard side of the ceiling that we had to cut when another nut popped off. Now it has to set for 24 hours till it's nice and hard and then we can resand it and make sure it's nice and smooth and ready for painting. Tracy came over and smeared some more in the grooves to even them out and seal up the wood in each of them. I'd sanded the grooves yesterday with out Fein MultiMaster tool. While I waited for the epoxy to do a bit of a set up, Tracy took off for the internet to see about airline reservations for me to go back to Colorado. We figure in about a month and stay for two to three weeks depending on the airlines and their fees. I've already started ordering parts so they will be ready when I get back there.

I stopped in at the office and made arrangements for scaffolding to be delivered tomorrow so we can get started on the teak bulwarks on the hull. They need to be cleaned and sanded and gotten ready for the wood sealer and varnish. We've pretty well set our minds on using Interlux Perfection Plus for the wood. Highly rated and even higher priced($106US for a quart) it's a two part liquid that(according to reports from Practical Sailor--like Consumer Reports) will last for at least two years before needing any touchup. If Lobster does get this done tomorrow, we can at least get going on the teak as well as sealing up all the pipes going through the deck that had to be loosened when we took that teak off. We have to clean out the anchor locker so I can get to the underside of the forward section of the deck to drill and install the forestaysail stay bracket that was removed when the teak was taken off. It's going to be a busier next few days if Mother Nature agrees. Guess we will see.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats