Around the world with S/V Zephyr

The adventures of Bill & Tracy as they fulfill their lifes dream of sailing the world. We've dreamed of this for years and now is the time while the health is still good and there is money in the kitty to make it come true.

05 January 2019 | Aurora
07 December 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 December 2018 | Aurora
15 November 2018 | Aurora
06 November 2018 | Aurora
01 November 2018 | Aurora
30 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
16 October 2018 | Aurora
14 October 2018 | Aurora
12 October 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
24 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
11 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
03 September 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
30 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
21 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
17 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
16 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado
15 August 2018 | Aurora, Colorado

In the home stretch!

14 July 2016 | Power Boats yard, Trinidad
Bill/raining
We're in the home stretch!! Today(Wednesday) started out just like every day for the last few weeks. Up before dawn and out working on the boat as the Sun came up. It was sprinkling just as I left the boat for the internet room and much better when I returned 40 minutes later. I need to get the weather info for the morning net so it takes a few minutes plus checking emails.

We spent a while straightening up on deck as well as inside before Tracy took off for Price Smart for one last mega shopping trip. It's not like we are going off the grid in Grenada but they carry things we can't get there. David the upholsterer that is making the dodger and bimini came by and made more adjustments and took off for his shop. He knows we will be lifted and prepared for launch tomorrow so he is working lots of over time to make sure they are both done right. It's not so much the dodger and bimini, it that they connect to side and stern panels to enclose the entire cockpit and every thing that's new must match up with everything that's old. As he came and went, I took care of other tasks--returned a big can of bottom paint we won't need. We already have four coats on Zephyr and don't need any more. I checked in with the office about getting the final statement and went to the local store to pick up 16 2 liter bottles of Pepsi. When we were in Grenada, while the price for Coke was reasonable, Pepsi was almost three times the price so I wanted to stock up here. Got to lug all 16 jugs back to the boat. Next I was on to reattaching the "rub straits". These are long(about 2 feet or more)pieces of metal that are screwed to the cap rail on deck to stop chafe from the fender lines when we are in a marina. They all had to come off when we were doing the varnishing. All the time I was doing this, it was slowly sprinkling and while it wasn't bad, I was slowly getting soaked.

On to attach the new hatches where the old ones were. Four in total all needed hinges positioned and screws and bolts attached once holes had been drilled. I got the anchor locker hatches in first but once we get to Grenada, they will need some attention. When Lobster cleaned out the rotted wood core, he replaced it with AirX foam but only in some places. Some sections appear to be just empty space and that is where some of the screws go in. I'm going to have to inject some epoxy inside the cavity of the hatches. So far they are fine but in the long run, the hinges will pull out. Not good. By the time I was done with the first two hatches, Tracy was back with a huge load of food. She even had a list from another cruiser that's already in Grenada of things she wants brought back when we come. We are now quite well stocked. She even came back with a cooked chicken for lunch. As far as I can remember, the last time I had a cooked piece of chicken in front of me was at Thanksgiving 20 months ago. Sure tasted good once we reheated it in the microwave. With lunch done, it was back on deck to do the stern hatches. Tracy we busy below putting food away. Bringing in this much food can fill your lockers to overflowing fast and things can get lost quickly. I was running short on the screws I needed to put the hinges on so Tracy was searching everywhere for compatible screws below deck. In the end, she found just enough to get the job done. By this time, it was 1600 and we took a short break with David coming and going asking for input and making adjustments in his shop.

By 1700, we were back outside putting a layer of wax on the starboard side hull. We'd already applied rubbing compound and now we needed to finish. As the Sun set, the wax got progressively harder and harder to remove as it's made for "high temperature" application and removal. With about ten feet short of finishing it, we bagged it for the night. It was time for a shower. David showed up again just as we were leaving to make more adjustments. He promised he will have it done before we get listed tomorrow and I believe him.

Tomorrow, it finish the waxing and clean up everything we can and give the poor deck a thorough washing. With all the coming and going we've tracked a good bit of dirt on deck and it needs to be cleaned badly. We are also waiting for Jason the woodworker to show up and finish the installation of the ceiling panel. Since he's already been paid, I'm not holding out much hope of him showing up. Tomorrow we will see. I'm just glad that while we had some rain today, it was just gentle sprinkles, at least after 0600.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zephyr
Vessel Make/Model: Shin Fa 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado
Crew: Bill & Tracy Hudson
About: We've been sailing since the early 80's on lakes in New Mexico and Colorado and finally took the plunge and bought Zephyr.
Extra:
We moved on board in April of 2008 and have been working and sailing her ever since. Up to Alaska and down to Mexico and across the Pacific to Fiji. From Fiji to the Philippines and down to South Africa for Christmas 2015. We've now made it to the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal. With [...]
Home Page: http::/www.sailblogs.com/member/svzephyr
Zephyr's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 54 of 54
1
It
The electrical connection with switch for the new Spectra Watermaker.
Our new watermaker--it still needs the hoses run but we are getting closer to getting the job done.
La Panga Restaurant and Marina Palmira office
You put your trash out in trash cans by the curb.  Here, they put it in raised steel containers to keep animals out of it while awaiting pickup.
OK, sounds like a restaurant I want to try.  Nothing wrong with a skull on the sign.
Boats in Marina Palmira.
Bigger power boats in Marina Palmira.
More boats in Marina Palmira.
Marina Costa Baja
There
Looking West from the marina.
Looking North towards the hotel La Fiesta.
Boats at Marina Costa Baja.
We sat for quite a while just watching the sun go down and see all her changing colors.  Each night provided a whole rainbow of colors.
La Fiesta Hotel.  Nice place and just about empty.
Matt getting some relaxation at the pool.
They stroll the docks each day.
Along the sidewalk at Marina Costa Baja.
Looking down from above.  Boy, it
The view from the top of the mast of the marina.
Out into the bay.
The "Beach Club at the hotel.
More of the Marina and the hotel.
Pangas along the beach at Los Muertos.
The dingy dock at Los Muertos.
Looking out from the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Pelicans and the pangas along the launching ramp at Los Muertos.
The Sun glinting off the bay at Los Muertos.
What used to be the Giggling Marlin restaurant.  Now El Carbon.
Rock walls out by the dingy dock at Los Muertos.
One of the flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.  Look closely.
More flying Manta Rays at Los Frailes.
The Eastern end of Los Frailes.
Ensenada de Los Muertos.
The ceiling of the restaurant at Los Muertos.
Blue goes hunting.  She knows there is something on the barbecue grill
With her toes spread, she is weaving on the life line.  The camera is still, she is not!
At anchor in Los Frailes.
The anchorage in Los Frailes.
At the pot luck dinner along the beach in Los Frailes waiting out the wind.  The wind won!!
Our new Fender Step.  It will make coming into dock much easier.
Our new Spectra 200T watermaker.  Now all we have to do is find the time to install it.
The Immigration Office in Ensenada, Mexico.  At least it is all in one building now instead of spread all over town.
The big flag by Baja Naval Marina.  An easy land mark to navigate to.
The Port Captain
The Mexican courtesy flag flying from our mast spreaders.
Celebrating crossing into Mexico.  The white wine had gone bad so we gave it to King Neptune instead.
Looking towards Ensenada Harbor.
 
1
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
Around Kudat and the Penuwasa Boat Yard
39 Photos
Created 18 November 2013
Up the hills till an opening shows up in front of you and then see if you can get down into it. Not always.
36 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Some photos of our diving on the reef.
30 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
Our trip around the north end of Borneo
20 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
Our trip around Malaysia starting at Tawau.
36 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
51 Photos
Created 13 October 2013
Our trip from Tawau around the top of Borneo down to Brunei.
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
24 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
Pictures of our dives off Musket Cove Marina
20 Photos
Created 7 December 2011
Avea Bay on South Huahine and on to Raiatea Island.
39 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
Our arrival in Tahiti through Huahine
91 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Getting Zephyr ready to go.
37 Photos
Created 28 October 2010
My three days getting not only knowledge and some self confidence but nice and dirty.
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2010
Heading South from Escondido.
23 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 April 2010
An old salt factory.
33 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Incredible sandstone
17 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
A great place to spend time exploring.
48 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
Honeymoon Cove on Isla Danzante
25 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 April 2010
47 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
Our continuing adventure as we head North farther up the Sea Of Cortez.
47 Photos
Created 22 January 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Our visit to the famous "Mushroom Rock" bay.
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Art and statues along the waterfront as you walk through downtown La Paz, Mexico
13 Photos
Created 1 January 2010
Still heading South but now in Cabo San Lucas
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
Making our way South along the coast of Mexico
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2009
View My Stats