Swagman Sailing

The racing & cruising adventures of Swagman, a Sparkman & Stephens designed 34ft yacht based in Perth, Western Australia.

09 February 2013 | Off Mandurah, Western Australia
27 June 2012 | Ballajura, Western Australia
13 June 2012 | Athens, Greece & Enroute Perth, Western Australia via Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
11 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
10 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
09 June 2012 | Enroute Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece to Athens, Greece
08 June 2012 | Lefkada, Lefkada Island, Greece
07 June 2012 | Enroute Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece, to Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece
06 June 2012 | Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
05 June 2012 | Enroute Thessaloniki, Greece to Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
04 June 2012 | Travel Dubrovnik, Croatia to Thessaloniki, Greece via Frankfurt, Germany
03 June 2012 | Enroute Split to Dubrovnik, Croatia
02 June 2012 | Split, Croatia
01 June 2012 | Kastela Marina, Gomilica, Split Croatia
31 May 2012 | ACI Marina, Milna, Brac Island, Croatia
30 May 2012 | Vrboska, Hvar Island, Croatia

Royal Perth Yacht Club - 2009-2010 Summer Sailing Season - Opening Day

10 October 2009 | Swan River, Perth, Western Australia
Andrew Waldby
My apologies firstly of not updating for over 1yr. First excuse was that I was extremely busy at work, and then last years Summer Sailing season was interrupted for me by blowing my knee up playing Indoor Cricket, and thus having to miss 90% of the season while undergoing a Knee Reconstruction and the inevitable Rehabilitation, and I was just too down about it to do much on this blog. But, they are my excuses and that is all they are, and forward we move.
Secondly to answer a blog comment from last year, we did actually get to try the new spinnaker. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC - 14% bigger and fast. I have a great photo of us under the spinnaker coming into the finish of the Govenors Cup at RPYC November 2008 which I will put up here very soon. Absolutely great racing shot, and will be getting it blown up on printed on canvas soon.
Anyway, onto the news of this year:
Well I did a little bit of maintenance work on the boat of the winter, and had it out of the water for the usual under the waterline maintenance in September. I had Phil Somerville re-pack the stern gland on the prop shaft, as I hadnt done it before and I wanted his experience to show me for future reference. Pretty easy, and the old packing probably had a bit of life left in it, but good to put the mind at rest by putting new stuff in.
I was able to pick up a 3yr 3DL North Sails mainsail from Mike Finn on Constellation, who is getting a new one under a sponsorship deal from North Sails. We are used to the old Dacron, and it's a slightly different configuration, and will have a little bit more life in it than the old one, and it was very cheap as well. Thanks Mike Finn & North Sails. Only need a slight alteration on the turning blocks at the aft end of the boom to accommodate the longer foot for the foot out haul and the 1st reefing line.
Anyway, onto the 1st race of the season at RPYC Opening Day. A short race so that they can get everybody back to the club for the Opening Day Festivities. Reasonable start, but slow as I was a little early. Need some trim changes on the main. Whether blustery, and wind all over the place which made it difficult to fine tune the new trim for the main, but overall a reasonable day. 12th across the line and 8th on handicap. Crew did a fantastic job, just the skipper needs another breezy day to blow the cobwebs out.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swagman
Vessel Make/Model: Sparkman & Stephens 34
Hailing Port: Royal Perth Yacht Club, Perth, Western Australia
Crew: Andrew Waldby, Vera Waldby, Alysha Waldby, Brett Waldby
About: Vera - my wife since 2004.
Extra: Normal Moored Position: 31 59.0068'S 115 49.4535'E
Swagman's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 24 April 2011