Swagman Sailing

The racing & cruising adventures of Swagman, a Sparkman & Stephens designed 34ft yacht based in Perth, Western Australia.

09 February 2013 | Off Mandurah, Western Australia
27 June 2012 | Ballajura, Western Australia
13 June 2012 | Athens, Greece & Enroute Perth, Western Australia via Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
11 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
10 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
09 June 2012 | Enroute Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece to Athens, Greece
08 June 2012 | Lefkada, Lefkada Island, Greece
07 June 2012 | Enroute Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece, to Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece
06 June 2012 | Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
05 June 2012 | Enroute Thessaloniki, Greece to Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
04 June 2012 | Travel Dubrovnik, Croatia to Thessaloniki, Greece via Frankfurt, Germany
03 June 2012 | Enroute Split to Dubrovnik, Croatia
02 June 2012 | Split, Croatia
01 June 2012 | Kastela Marina, Gomilica, Split Croatia
31 May 2012 | ACI Marina, Milna, Brac Island, Croatia
30 May 2012 | Vrboska, Hvar Island, Croatia

SS34 Easter Cruise - Day 3 - Port Bouvard to Fremantle

24 April 2011 | Fremantle, Western Australia
Andrew Waldby
Well this morning was decision time. We either stayed in Port Bouvard for another day & night or head back, perhaps stopping at Warnbro Sound on the way through. We checked the weather and it looked as if the winds were not going to be in our favour. Sunday morning was forecasted 20kts NW/SW and Monday & Tuesday was forecasted to be virtually nothing from anywhere from the NW to the SE and any where in between. So, we had a meeting a decided that we would head out at about 1100 and head back north, as there was going to be too much of a risk of being becalmed, and most of us needing to get back on Tuesday at the latest. And, if things looked okay perhaps we would overnight in Warnbro Sound again, but this time in the NW corner so that we would be protected from the weather.
Anyway, we set off, with Sulphur leading out quite quickly, followed by Grey Goose II who struggled to clear the Dawesvill Cut opening under just mainsail and motor, then us on Swagman, and Blondie & Miss Cath following 10-15mins later. Swell was about 2-3m's, wind wave about 1m, & the wind 20kts from the W.
We made good time out to Murray Reef's beacon and turned N to come inside Coventry Reef and the entrance to Warnbro Sound. At that point the weather started to come in with a good sized rain squall, although not very strong, so we decided to continue on to either the NE corner of Garden Island or go straight through to Fremantle, as it would have been a bit hazardous to try and enter Warnbro Sound with the risks of squalls around and reducing the visibility.
We continued up to Challenger Passage at the N end of Garden Island, and just as Sulphur, Swagman & following at about 10-15mins were Blondie & Miss Cath, reached the passage another brief squall hit, with good sized following sea coming through the passage. Sulphur got inside and decided to drop all sails and motor the rest of the way, and Brett & I on Swagman continued on under full sail straight towards Royal Perth Yacht Club Annex at Fremantle. The rain squall passed after about 15mins, and we tied up at the annex at about 1600, with the others following. Brett and I decided that we would leave Swagman there overnight and come back up river early tomorrow morning. Apparently just as we were leaving the annex at 1830, Grey Goose II was just making their way through Challenger Passage.
It was a great weekend, although cut short by the weather, but we knew that was going to be a risk at this time of year. But we had a great time, and learnt lots about ourselves, the boat and cruising.
Thanks to Dick Newnham from Sulphur for being the guide and organising the cruise.
The photo is of Brett & I just after we came through Challenger Passage after the last rain squall had passed.

See the Photo Gallery for all the photos of the SS34 Easter Cruise 2011.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swagman
Vessel Make/Model: Sparkman & Stephens 34
Hailing Port: Royal Perth Yacht Club, Perth, Western Australia
Crew: Andrew Waldby, Vera Waldby, Alysha Waldby, Brett Waldby
About: Vera - my wife since 2004.
Extra: Normal Moored Position: 31 59.0068'S 115 49.4535'E
Swagman's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 24 April 2011