Swagman Sailing

The racing & cruising adventures of Swagman, a Sparkman & Stephens designed 34ft yacht based in Perth, Western Australia.

09 February 2013 | Off Mandurah, Western Australia
27 June 2012 | Ballajura, Western Australia
13 June 2012 | Athens, Greece & Enroute Perth, Western Australia via Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
11 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
10 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
09 June 2012 | Enroute Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece to Athens, Greece
08 June 2012 | Lefkada, Lefkada Island, Greece
07 June 2012 | Enroute Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece, to Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece
06 June 2012 | Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
05 June 2012 | Enroute Thessaloniki, Greece to Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
04 June 2012 | Travel Dubrovnik, Croatia to Thessaloniki, Greece via Frankfurt, Germany
03 June 2012 | Enroute Split to Dubrovnik, Croatia
02 June 2012 | Split, Croatia
01 June 2012 | Kastela Marina, Gomilica, Split Croatia
31 May 2012 | ACI Marina, Milna, Brac Island, Croatia
30 May 2012 | Vrboska, Hvar Island, Croatia

Day 1 in France - Travel London to Paris - Lechatelet, Burgundy

14 May 2012 | London, England, Paris, France & enroute Lechatelet, Burgundy, France
Andrew & Vera Waldby - England - cold, Paris - fine, Burgundy - fine
Today was an early start at Hyde Park House to get to St. Pancras International Train station to catch the Eurostar to Paris at 0831. We shared a taxi with Chris & Liz Pye, and suprisingly got all of our luggage and four of us all in the taxi. We got to St. Pancras very quickly and in plenty of time - even before our train check-in opened. But, we finally got to go through customs until they picked up the sailing knives that I bought for the boat in my luggage. I knew there would possibly be a problem on the train as you have access to your luggage while aboard. However, I explained what they were for and showed them my RPYC membership, Yachting Australia membership & Restricited Skippers Ticket; and after the supervisor came down and asked questions and checked everything he let me proceed with the knives in my luggage. It shouldnt be a problem on the Lufthansa flights as they will be in my luggage stowed away below.
So, we boarded the train in Premium Economy, got served breakfast and had a look at the route that we wanted to take in the hire car from Paris to Burgundy.
We arrived in Paris just before lunchtime, and headed downstairs to get the hire car. As the Pye's and another couple are also heading to Burgundy to stay at the Pye's Hotel Cascarot in Lechatelet; and they were catching trains we offered to take the majority of the luggage. So, with all the luggage loaded in the car and Ken (TomTom) giving us good directions we set off. Although, we didnt have any Euro's yet and we also wanted a real map, so we got off the ring road and found somewhere to get some cash and off we set again.
We found our way back onto the motorway and headed south again; however soon realised we were on a tollway so we decided to get off and get intentionally lost to see what we could see. We went via a couple small towns/villages in the rural part of Paris. the photo for this entry is a village called Lechamp and is of our first old French church that we have visited. I think it was built in the 1500's, and has had some significant damage done to it, and it is obvious that there has been some restoration done to it over the years; as well as some happening now. We then decided that to just jump back onto the tollway and head to the Burgundy region and just see what we could see on the way; plus it was starting to get late.
We finally got to the Hotel Cascarot in the village of Lechatelet at about 1915, just before the others. This is where we are basing ourselves until Friday thanks to Liz & Chris Pye who are currently renovating the hotel.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swagman
Vessel Make/Model: Sparkman & Stephens 34
Hailing Port: Royal Perth Yacht Club, Perth, Western Australia
Crew: Andrew Waldby, Vera Waldby, Alysha Waldby, Brett Waldby
About: Vera - my wife since 2004.
Extra: Normal Moored Position: 31 59.0068'S 115 49.4535'E
Swagman's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 24 April 2011