Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Chained to the Dock

11 January 2007 | Exuma Docking Services
Randy
It was not a fun night. We spent most of it getting our fender configuration dialed in. With fifty feet of length and about five feet of freeboard our boat can put a considerable amount of pressure on a dock in 25 knots of sustained wind. The sawing affect of the harbor chop makes it even more fun with waves barreling right through the marina. What marina? Fenders slide forward or back, squeeze up or down, it is a constant battle to keep the boat protected.

First thing in the morning we made some coffee and then Hideko went to the store to buy some more fenders. We now have out all six of our large fenders and three new smaller fenders. This dock is treacherous; it nicked up our rub rail a bit last night (glad we have a rub rail!). The dock planks stick out as far as the posts so you really have to protect your topsides. I sawed off a few that were cracked and rotten. We have three horizontal fenders on a post amidships to bear the main load and one each fore and aft to handle the small compressions as the boat yaws in the wind. There are various other fenders near the middle of the boat to protect the gel coat. Our aft spring line is holding us in place and we have a cross tie on the far bow cleat and the far stern cleat to keep her parallel.

The constant chop mashes the fenders about so we really have to have someone here at all times to realign things every once in a while. On the other hand it has been sort of nice to have a down day and easy access to the store. I think that we've finally built our larder back up to spec after the family visit.

It is interesting listening to the VHF here. You're best off monitoring 16 and 68 with double watch. Most of the cruisers hail on 68 but 16 is still an active and important channel. The cruiser network is stronger than anywhere I've ever seen. Everyone you've met on a sailboat in the Bahamas is either here or on the way. There are over 150 boats all networking, chatting and helping each other out. Organized activities take place on Volleyball beach every day. It sounds like a lot of fun. Now if we can just get out of here and over there...
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved