Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

The Fish Fry

20 January 2007 | The Fish Fry
Randy
There's an area of Great Exuma with a number of small food and drink shacks known as Fish Fry Village. The Edelweiss crew has been doing a great job of seeing all of the sights in the area and invited us to join them at the Fish Fry for lunch. We set out across the harbor for the fist time on Little Star around noon, following Lowell and Jane in their Zodiac. It was just Hideko and I so we got up on a plane pretty easily but out little 8HP could not come close to keeping up with the 15HP Zodiac. Lowell waited for us on the other side of the harbor and we made out best guess as to which beach the shacks were on.

We ended up one cove north where the Peace and Plenty Beach Club and Coconut Cove Inns are located. They directed us back to the beach with the two rusting barges just to the south. We ran the dinghys up on the sand and took a walk though the shacks. As it turns out most don't get going until about 3PM and only a few are open during the week. The man who gave us directions recommended we try Aces. After discovering that they were the only place open I could see why he would make such a recommendation. We all order the grouper, fried. It was great. With our mercury and bad cholesterol levels all peaked we headed into town to catch up on some business over the Internet.

The Peace and Plenty hotel on the Northeast of town has a dock in the harbor just down from the Fish Fry so we tied up there and tried out their Internet. They charged $5 for a half of an hour and have a Wifi hub in the manager's office that works right around the lobby. If too many stations are on line you can't get on so instead of using Hideko's laptop I used the desktop PC they have available. The sale of our home back in California is imminent so I had to make a call as well. There are payphones out side of the Peach and Plenty Hotel and across the street at the Peace and Plenty boutique (although one was out of order). Two out of three is a good ratio here. Few of the phones in the Bahamas take cash so you either need a prepaid card or some way of making a collect call (which BTC seems to leave curiously dysfunctional in most places). After trying several approaches at a collect call I gave up and bought a BTC pre paid card. After catching up with my real estate broker it appears I will have to fly back to Los Angeles to wrap things up.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved