Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Punta Aguila

08 March 2007 | West Coast of Puerto Rico
Randy
Our plan for getting around the south coast of Puerto Rico was pretty straight forward. Get up really early and go until you are no longer interested in going, then stop. We had setup ditch anchorages all along the coast so that we'd never be more than 5-10 nm from a resting place.

It had been blowing pretty good for most of the time we'd been in Boqueron and the forecast was for more of the same. The south coast of Puerto Rico, much like the North coast of the DR, creates an acceleration affect to the trades during the day but offers some lee at night.

We didn't want to leave Boqueron in the dark but we did want to start our journey east in the dark of the morning. To prep for the journey we picked an open, easy to exit, anchorage near the southern most point on the west coast of Puerto Rico, Punta Aguila. The actual southern tip is Punta Rojo, which has a nice light house on it.

We spent the day walking Roq ashore and resting up. In the late afternoon we got the boat in shape and headed out of Boqueron. We exited through the marked channel to the south this time without any drama even though the sun was starting to get low and a little in our faces.

We headed south toward the point as the sun began to boil into the water. There's a little hotel with a dinghy dock on the coast and we targeted the general area here for our anchorage. It got very shallow as we moved in toward the coast. The shelf must have been no more than five feet deep for a couple hundred yards off shore. We anchored in 7 feet pretty far from the coast. I was not particularly happy being this far out as we had little protection from the winds, which were whipping up into the high teens again, and there was enough fetch to make a bit of a chop.

Once on the hook we settled in and watched the colors in the sky fade away. It was a windy choppy anchorage but sometimes that can be enjoyable. Hideko, Roq and I went into the cabin, turned on some lights and snuggled up in the saloon to watch a movie and have some Ramen. It's the same sort of enjoyable comfort you get when sitting by a fire in the mountains watching the snow fall through the window.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved