Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Saint Georges Lagoon

07 August 2007 | Saint Georges
Randy
We had a bit of weather move by this morning. Some time around mid morning we saw a bit of west wind. I watched things for a bit to see if it would follow through. It did, enough for me anyway. It was light but the boat was slowly sliding west and nearing the anchor. I think we could have gone all the way west and still been afloat but I wasn't completely sure. Beaching your boat is one of those things you want to be sure about.

We picked up the anchor and decided to move to the lagoon to see what that was like. Two of our friends, the boats Audrey and See You Manana, were already there and enjoying the proximity to the stores and restaurants. There's a bit of reef on the sides of the harbor entrance so we followed the shipping channel in. This takes you right to the cargo ship dock. Just in front of the dock you take a right and follow the markers in to the lagoon.

The lagoon is about 12 feet throughout and was very crowded on this particular day. We went all the way to the back near the market's dock and took a spot that the guy next to us said had poor holding. We set the anchor with no real problem and we were definitely holding.

It rained a lot today and the wind did a bit of light and variable on the anchorage. This caused the usual collision scare and set up some anchor fouling for the bigger winds to follow. Boats were constantly moving about the anchorage reanchoring. In my book this is a sign that you should leave. It kept raining off and on all day though so we stayed put for the night.

Our Splendid washer/dryer broke down when the genset overheated in Rodney Bay. We have been wanting to fix it but have had a hard time figuring out who at Splendid to contact and then how to contact them.

Island Water World is right on the lagoon and they offer free wifi for the boats in the area. Very kind of them! After a lot of hard work by Hideko, she got on a chat with the Spendid rep over the Internet. Our washer/dryer is in the bow in front of the owners bathroom. It is tricky to get behind it and that was, of course, the first thing the rep wanted us to do. Hideko looked at me. I looked at her. Then I said, you're the smallest!

Hideko climbed up behind the Splendide and took the back off as I typed frantically at the factory rep. After a bit of work we, surprisingly, got it working. A lead had come loose on one of the sensors.

We are not at the one year mark yet but my goal is to have everything setup the way I want it and working properly by then. We are getting close to this elusive state. A big part of it is learning the multitude of things you need to know to take care of all this stuff. A cruising boat is basically a power plant, a water district, a weather station, a radio station, a gas company, a home, and, oh yeah, a boat. There's a lot to know just to be able to operate everything properly not to mention performing the necessary maintenance and handling the unexpected.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved