Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Le Meridian

12 August 2008 | Bora Bora
Randy
Today we decided to continue our hotel tour (after eating lunch aboard!) with a visit to the Le Meridian. The Le Meridian is the oldest hotel in the area and it looks it. This is not necessarily a bad thing. If you want the Ritz, go to the Saint Regis or the Bora Bora Nui, or perhaps the new Four Seasons (there is no Ritz). That said the Le Meridian reminds me of the old Polynesia, which I am only acquainted with through Walt Disney.

The main buildings are big and open with high pandana covered roofs. The bungalows are smaller and more reserved but still charming. The lagoon is big and beautiful and things look a little less perfect and a little more natural (after all the Le Meridian had first pick of the east side motu spots). But in my opinion, the best thing about the Le Meridian is the turtles.

The Le Meridian has a sea turtle sanctuary where they rehabilitate and raise sea turtles. Some are in pens to protect them as they recover but many are loose in the enclosed lagoon. You can swim and snorkel with them if you are careful not to disturb them. Teaching them not to fear man may not be the best thing for their long term survival. Humans are one of the turtle's deadliest predators, but I suppose you have to raise awareness somehow.

Our favorite turtle spent most of his time playing with (tormenting?) a damsel fish. Damsel fish are famous for being very territorial and will often go after creatures much larger than themselves who get too close to their layer (i.e. SCUBA divers). The turtle would swim boldly into the damsel fish layer and then paddle away as the fish nipped at his flippers.

It is fun to just walk around these resorts and look at the architecture and the landscapes. Most of the large modern resorts have really worked hard to create an idyllic setting. Beaches, trees, endless swimming pools, flowers, lagoons, Koi filled lily ponds and bridges with wandering paths all work together to create quite an impression.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved