Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

The Copra Shed

21 October 2008 | Savusavu
Randy
It was nice to sleep in after the three night passage from Vava'u to Savusavu. The anchorage is flat in almost any weather if you are in past the first few moorings. There is a cruisers net run by Curly's Bosun's Locker in the mornings at 8:00 but it is pretty quiet. You can get a good weather forecast though and every once in a while a boat will pipe up. The anchorage is so quiet and small that it seems you know almost everyone after a few days.

The Copra Shed has been a wonderful home base for us. When we went ashore to visit Dolly yesterday she gave us a wonderful briefing on everything we might need to know. They also received our DHL package with mail and what not from the US. The Copra shed has showers and they can arrange water at the dock or you can Jerry can it. There is no fuel dock here but is you need massive amounts they'll deliver to the dock. Otherwise you have to jerry can it from the station, which is very close to the dock. In addition to arranging your port clearance, fuel and other services, Dolly will get your cruising permit for you and of course rent you a mooring.

The Copra Shed has two rooms upstairs, a breakfast/lunch/dinner cafe and a nicer lunch/dinner place. They also have a yacht club bar and a small dock where the local charter sport fisher ties up. There is a great laundry service at the Copra Shed along with a car/scooter rental, air line agents, gift shop, real estate agent, and internet cafe copymat (with WIFI in the anchorage).

We rented a scooter today and explored while doing some errands. We too the road south to the Cousteau resort first. The road turns dirt right outside of town and it is a bumpy ride, but beautiful along the coast with lush trees and vegetation all around. The resort, owned by Jean Michele Cousteau (Jacques son) is very nice. It has a dark wood Micronesian theme with peaky pandana roofs. The beach is not white sand bu the place is right on the water with a great dock and there is coral everywhere. The resort is a little funny about outside visitors and would not serve us lunch. They indicated their size and the need to prepare food as needed. We decided to go on a dive with them (many of the best dives are too far out for a dinghy ride) and reserve a lunch spot Thursday.

We made our way back to town and through to the north side. It was a good trip to the hospital to pay our health bill. We also found that the town has a lot to offer and the hardware store even had our 15mm plumbing fittings! We stocked up.

Back at the Copra shed we met some of the resident cruisers and had a nice spicy pizza at the Captains Cafe before retiring to the big boat a short dinghy hop from the Copra Shed dock.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved