Bookmark and Share
Swingin' on a Star
Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".
Move the Boat
12/07/2006, Bimini

The Dock Master came by late in the afternoon to inform us that the fuel tanker was coming in and that we couldn't stay on the dock where we were. Apparently the tanker was a couple of days early. We were on the North end of the dock and all of the fuel dock gear was on the South end. I asked if the Fuel barge couldn't just tie up on the South end of the dock. The Dock Master looked at me for a second and said, "no mon, this one takes up the whole dock".

He wasn't kidding. I saw the thing at that point, making its way into the harbor. It was like a mini oil tanker. Having minimal docking experience with our 50' long, 26' wide boat I was not excited about trying to get out of the way as the steel behemoth bore down on us. Even more interesting was the shoal directly in front of our current position, the crazy current, the 20 knot wind and the fact that the inside slip he wanted me to pull into had a foot and a half of clearance on each side. It's times like these that you're glad you have rub rails.

As luck would have it the operation went without a hitch. A great crew on Cat's Paw helps us from the dock. Hideko got us all tied down and I didn't plough through any pilings. We now have shore power for the first time in a month. Time for a cold Kalik...

The Bahamas
The Empty Harbor Syndrome
12/06/2006, Bimini

All of our friends have left. Meridian, Edelweiss and Red Leopard are all on the other side of the banks. It kind of makes you feel left behind. It's not like we were headed to the same places or anything, you just get a certain feeling when you see friends sail off. Perhaps our friends felt this way when we left California. Everyday is an adventure when you are cruising to new places but you have to get used to missing people you've become fond of.

The weather has closed in so it will be a week before we can expect a nice sail to the Berrys. We could go anyway without any danger on several different days but I prefer to sail when the sailing is fun if possible.

Hideko and I are getting a lot of reading in. I'm really enjoying the weather and island effects stuff in Van Zandt's Gentlemans's Guide to Passages South. Also, after coveting everyone else's Explorer charts we finally bought a set. The last set in Bimini at that (I was surprised to find them at all). The Explorer charts are certainly the charts you should have for the Bahamas. I started planning a more detailed version of our cruise in the Berrys today.

The Bahamas
A stay in Bimini
12/05/2006, Bimini Harbor

We unfortunately did not go to bed as early as we like to the night before a passage. Since the boat is tied to the dock, we decided to swap the anchor, then laundry and cooking and so forth. By the time everything was done, it was almost midnight; not a preferable time to go to bed before an all day crossing of the Great Bahama Bank. We woke up at 6AM. We were both tired. The weather wasn't great. Can we have fun staying in Bimini for a while? The answer was yes! So we decided to stay. This is the great thing about not being on a schedule.

Randy helped Edelweiss leave the dock, and Roque went for a short walk and we went back to sleep.

The Bahamas
Bimini Blue Water Marina
12/04/2006, Bimini Blue Water Marina

It was another beautiful day in the warm, transparent waters 100 yards off of the beach on North Bimini. We spent a lot of the day looking over weather and our route across the banks. I have finally figured out how to get specific weather information on a request basis over SailMail. Very cool that. My Weather Fax application tends to crash before copying an entire Fax at night for some reason. It works much better in the morning hours.

Red Leopard and Two Tops both set out across the banks today. We hope to run across them down island.

The front looming over Florida finally arrived in the afternoon. We re-anchored farther off shore in anticipation of its passage. As usual it was a little stronger than predicted, and a bit more squally. The biggest problem was that it was blowing from West of North, not North Northeast as advertised. This pressed us back toward the Bimini Harbor entrance reef and the beach, which incidentally has the rusting remains of a cargo ship right where we would have ended up if the anchor broke out. Ominous.

So after a bit of that we hauled up and went in to tie up where Red Leopard had been at the Bimini Blue Water Marina. BBWM is sleepy but the folks are nice, they have fuel and a swimming pool, at $0.75 a foot it is the cheapest, and it is quiet off season. There's a sand bar in the middle of what looks like the channel running a third of the way up the BBWM dock from deeper in the harbor. Stay near the docks or have less than 4 foot draft if it isn't high tide when approaching from sea. I've seen two mono-hulls ground here.

We're going to try to get things prepped for a passage across the Great Bahama Bank tomorrow.

The Bahamas
Anchorage off of North Bimini Beach
12/03/2006, North Bimini

On the night of the 1st and during the day on the 2nd a few other boats came across the Gulf Stream to Bimini. None of them had fun. One of them was Red Leopard with Rick and Myrna aboard. Rick and Myrna were commissioning their brand new Leopard 40 at Lauderdale Marine Center while we were there. It was great to see them and catch up. We went to lunch with Edelweiss, Two Tops and Red Leopard today at the Bimini Big Game Club, one of the better spots in town.

Some charts mark the anchorage West of the North Bimini Beach as a pilot boarding area. Being from southern California this brought to mind images of the oil tanker field off of El Segundo. With the new channel in place I doubt you could get someone to talk you in here, much less come out to drive your boat to the dock. The anchorage was idyllic and we went to the beach with Roq a few times. Some dolphins came by to say hi and a large Barracuda took up residence under our boat. I think that if you look under all of the sailboats in the Caribbean half of them will have a Barracuda underneath sheltering from the sun.

The Bahamas
Bimini Harbour
12/02/2006, Bimini Harbour

We woke up facing an East wind in a beam swell flowing North from the Gulf Stream. A little rolley on a catamaran, but no big deal, especially given the great location and wonderful holding. Then I went outside and saw the spar on Edelweiss swinging like the pendulum on a coo-coo-clock. The inside of that boat must have been like a fun house. Lowell and Jane confirmed said affect later in the day after moving to an end tie at Bimini Blue Water Marina in the harbor. I felt bad about telling them this was a nice anchorage, one must keep in mind the differences between catamarans and mono-hulls when making anchorage recommendations.

Meridian picked us up to clear customs early in the morning and then they set off across the banks. They were meeting family in the BVI and needed to stay on the go while conditions were favorable. So there we sat alone in the anchorage. This is a great feeling when you're in a protected lagoon. It is a little ominous when you are in a well traveled area fully exposed to the open ocean on what could quickly turn into a lee shore. The weather forecast gave me no reason to be overly concerned but we feel better about leaving our boat when there are other cruisers around and we wanted to see Bimini.

So off we went into Bimini harbor even though none of the marinas had an end tie for us. Now the word harbor brings to mind a certain amount of maritime organization, structure and security. The use of the word here is a stretch. First let me correct the various cruising guides and charts, there is no place to anchor in North Bimini harbor that you could justly refer to as a proper anchorage. No place. The so called anchorage just past the Big Game Marina has room for one shoal draft boat, the skipper of whom must be adept at deploying a very tight Bahamian moor. Just off shore from the noisy power plant, Dock to the South, Grassy Bank in 4 feet of water to the West, Busy channel to the East and a three to four knot tidal current that swaps 180 degrees every 6 hours having no acquaintance with the word, "slack". What anchorage?

So we anchored there. One nonexistent slot down from the guy in the good spot.

The water here is crystal clear and 86 degrees. It's beautiful even though you can see the Coke bottles and beer cans on the bottom. Most are blended into the sea floor so it's not too appalling. I dove on our anchor for the first time and had a blast in the water. I'll let you know if I grow a third arm or anything from the power plant effluent. The tide was a foot above soundings and after letting out a tight scope on the bow we were about 6 inches above the bottom at the keel. Not optimal, especially considering the likelihood of a 360 degree swing here.

As the tide began to really get going I found that it was all I could do to swim up current with fins. The boat completely ignored the 18 knot wind and faced the current. You're anchor can do some weird things in this situation. The boat is almost completely controlled by the current, but unlike the wind, the current is not uniform and as the speed and pattern change, ebb and flood, your boat will move to different positions above or to the side of the anchor. There were a few times when we could not even figure out which rules of physics were applying.

Unfortunately we didn't have our second bow anchor set up yet (Rocna still in the cockpit). The only thing I could think of to keep us from swinging into something or turning 180 degrees and dragging into one of the several hazards was to set the stern anchor. So I dutifully deployed our shinny new Fortress FX-37, dove on it to ensure that it was well set, and got on with other tasks.

Rick from Two Tops, a very clean Prout, came by on his dinghy on his way to customs. He mentioned that he had never had any luck bow and stern in Bimini. When he returned from customs he looked over at us, hauled anchor and left the harbor. Ominous.

11PM. I'm standing on the swim step watching an incredible amount of water flowing aft to fore, splashing and whirling across the transom. Ever gone 5 knots in reverse? Boats aren't supposed to do this. I was wondering how long our's would. The stern anchor rode was tuned to G sharp.

11:30PM. It was near peak current when we heard a loud pop and the boat swung wildly out into the channel. Hideko and I ran outside and started both auxiliaries as we careened back toward the guy with the one good anchoring spot. Would our 66 pound Claw hold? Could I stop the boat in this current with the diesels in time? These and 50,000 more thoughts crossed my mind as we reached the end of the arc. Perhaps concurrently the Fortress grabbed hold at a 90 degree angle to the boat keeping us a bit into the channel and the Claw, which had tripped reburied and, no doubt grabbing various tires and car batteries, took hold with a vengeance. We stuck. Not far from the boat off of the Big Game dock but just far enough to live with.

At this point we had a ships meeting. Hideko, Roq and I had to decide whether to haul anchor and leave the harbor, re-anchor at a safer distance, or stay put with a watch on duty for the tide swap at 1AM. Navigating into Bimini harbor is harrowing on your first pass and I wasn't excited about trying my first exit at night. Re-anchoring in this current in the dark with the poor bottom didn't seem like a high success operation either. We were set and holding, so we stayed. We left the port diesel running as a provision. Now what about this stern anchor?

The Fortress was hooked, and good. Nothing I tried would budge it and it was set out in a spot where the current was even worse. I set a sharp knife out in the cockpit and tabled the decision until later in the morning.

1AM. Hideko and I napped with one eye on the boat to our stern and a tight anchor alarm setup on the chart plotter. As the current began to subside for an ever so brief slack before the swap, I made one last attempt to retrieve the Fortress before cutting it loose. Surprisingly, with some serious effort, it came up. Even more surprisingly a third of one of the flukes was sheered off. This gives you some idea of the load that must have been on the anchor with the current flowing from the stern. I can only assume that it was hooked on a rock under the sand.

Now we were at least in a reasonable anchoring situation. The current was running in and we were set on a reliable bow anchor facing it. We didn't get much sleep over the next 6 hour tide cycle. When morning came we left the harbor and anchored off to the West of North Bimini in nice sand 12 feet deep along with four other boats that already knew better.

I hear Fortress will replace a broken anchor under warrantee. Although ours broke on the first use, I have a lot of respect for the thing given how long it held up. Maybe an FX55 will fit in my lazarette?

The Bahamas
Gulf Stream Crossing
12/01/2006, Gulf Stream

We made it! We are anchored on a 10 foot deep sand bar about 200 yards off of the west coast of South Bimini with a nice east wind. The water is the most pure turquoise blue you can imagine. Anchoring has never been so easy. We have 50' of chain out and I can see the whole scope and the hook (or at least where it's buried). Just as advertised

You can skip the rest of this blog unless you are interested in a detailed account of our first passage as new cruisers.

The Gulf Stream was not as advertised.

The five boats staging near Pumpkin Key off of Key Largo were joined by Bombay Duck, another catamaran, late in the afternoon on the 30th. All of the boats were anchored in the serene setting of Card Sound and prepping to make their way out through Angelfish Cut into the North Atlantic at 0'Dark-Thirty.

It was a tight window. The original NWS forecast for the Gulf Stream was Southeast winds 10-15 knots and seas of 2-4 feet subsiding to less than 2 feet in the afternoon. As predicted the weather would come from the Southeast for one day and then go East and then North with an attitude (i.e. 13' waves) for some time. If we didn't make this window we were all going to be hanging out in Florida or cruising the Florida Keys for the foreseeable future. We were a bit nervous on Thursday night as we made our final preparations. I had been taking Roq to a nice little park at the end of an inlet on Key Largo and we left the dink in the water so I could take him ashore one last time before we made our way across the Gulf Stream. That meant a 4AM wake up call if we wanted to be ready to leave at 6AM with the rest of the boats.

4AM Friday. Hideko and I both had little sleep in anticipation of our first passage by ourselves in our new boat. I got up to take Roq ashore in the dark of night and though the moon was waxing full, the patchy clouds made it hard to find the entrance to the inlet amongst the Mangroves. As we rowed back to the boat I saw Bombay Duck weighing anchor. They apparently were not messing around and knew Angelfish well enough to make it through in the dark. We didn't see them again. We set about bringing the dinghy on deck and securing everything for sea. We had not had a chance to swap out our anchors so the 88 lbs Rocna was a menacing presence on deck. I secured it at the back of the cockpit with some line and towels, not knowing how troubling its presence was about to become.

We checked in at 6AM with VHF WX1 for NOAA weather and later at 6:30AM with Chris Parker on the SSB at 4.045MHZ. Things had taken a turn for the worse. The wind was now supposed to run 15-20 knots until late afternoon and the seas were supposed to be in the 6 foot range. Not great, but given the alternative, all of the boats in the anchorage were still a go. So at about 6AM, 50 minutes before sunrise, we all lined up to file through the Angelfish cut. Wind in the Willows, the smallest and therefore slowest boat at 37 feet, went first. Edelweiss, lone mono hull and thus carrying the deepest draft at close to 6 feet, went second. Ishmael was followed by Meridian and we brought up the rear. The pass had skinny water in spots, but Edelweiss had surveyed it the day before with a portable depth sounder in their dinghy and found nothing short of 7 feet center channel. We left close to high tide and the Card Sound tide table indicated we would have about a foot above soundings (which were fairly unreliable in the cut, but hey, an extra foot never hurts).

Meridian and Wind in the Willows raised their full main sails at anchor and made their way though the pass with the wind on their nose, having no problem. We considered this but decided to restrict the number of forces on the boat a bit until on the other side. Ishmael, Edelweiss and Swingin on a Star deployed sails as we neared the edge of the continental shelf and 30 feet or so of water. We all had to follow a careful track until we cleared a few outlying hazardous shoals.

As the boats made their way out of the outer channel we angled to the North trying to get as much wind toward the beam as possible. The depth dropped from 30, to 100, to "no bottom" and the swells began to mount. It was becoming obvious that the 6 foot prediction was not connected with the 10 foot reality. I was glad that our boat had come ready for ocean voyaging with jack lines fore and aft on both side decks. Hideko and I added a line from port to starboard at the mast to allow crew to jack in while working on the main. I made full use of this facility when raising our main sail. With the questionable conditions, Hideko and I decided to leave the 1st reef in for the day. This turned out to be a wise decision.

We never saw wind below 20 knots apparent and it averaged 27 knots. Gusts were over 30 knots and the seas were unpleasantly steep to say the least. All five boats were bashing through eight foot seas with ten foot rogues coming over the bow regularly. We were all motor sailing to point as high as possible. I think that many of the crews were persevering due to the hope that the calmer afternoon forecast would materialize during the 8 hour passage. It did... about 15 minutes before we reached the anchorage. Only three boats made the crossing.

Michael, the kindly old sailor with more experience than the entire group of us, was the first to radio in. He was single handing and taking too much water over the bow to continue. Smaller boats not only have less powerful rigs but they also have smaller motors, lower freeboard and several other attributes not beneficial to suffering seas of the nature we were faced with. Having the longest waterline and the largest motors and props, Swingin on a Star progressively moved ahead of the rest of the boats, beating our way through the steep swells. Ishmael, the 40 foot custom trimaran, headed south to power up their main in an attempt to break out of the worst of the chop. The remaining group of three boats continued to press as close to the wind as possible.

We were running both diesels through the channel to ensure maximum control of the boat. We had problems with the hydraulic steering on the way down from Fort Lauderdale and, although everything seemed fine on the sail down Biscayne Bay, we were still hesitant to place full faith in our hydraulic system bleeding skills. When we reached the final mark at the beginning of our 50 nautical mile route to Gun Cay we shut down the windward engine to see how she motor sailed with just the leeward diesel.

The wind and the waves kept coming on with 28 knots apparent, 35 degrees off of the starboard bow. Swingin on a Star did her best to stay on top of the water but she was not quite large enough to master some of the taller, tightly packed swells. I heard her slam for the first time ever as a particularly steep wall of water picked the boat up several feet and rudely dropped her into the growing trough of the next set. Forward buoyancy and bridge deck clearance were key criteria in our catamaran selection process. It seemed to be paying off as our boat was doing an amazing job given the conditions. Hideko, Roq and I had on our PFDs and harnesses but never got wet or too shaken up as we sailed through the turmoil.

Ishmael was the next boat to radio in to the group. Their 40 foot custom trimaran was having a hard time making way. The sea steals your speed each time you pound into a wave and, like Michael, they did not have enough motor or size to get through the swells easily. Karl and Pat, were veterans and gave us many valuable tips along the way, we were sorry to see them head for Miami.

Edelweiss was making their first crossing, just as we were. They were the lone mono hull in the group and while they had a large Hunter Legend 45, they were pressed with 25 to 30 knots of apparent wind, big swells and no spray hood. The skipper, Lowell, was using a hand held VHF in the cockpit so it was hard to stay in touch with them. We lost contact with them shortly after Ishmael radioed in their return. We were concerned that we could not raise them.

Meridian was staying close behind us. As we pulled out the entire jib and trimmed the sails with the traveler to windward we began to see 10 knots plus SOG. It was not long before we could only see Meridian behind us. After an hour fighting to stay as close to the wind as possible it became obvious that our rhumb line was not a sailing reality, the Gulf Stream and the wind were just too strong. I decided to shut down the last diesel to see how much speed we would lose. As the Yanmar rattled to a halt, the speed over ground dropped down to 9.5 knots, then as the wind picked back up, the prop folded and we moved right back to 10 plus. We had been running the diesel for the last hour to charge batteries I guess.

Our next significant VHF transmission came from Bombay Duck. They were somewhere ahead of us but being set North to the point that they were making for Hen and Chickens, some rocks substantially North of Bimini. They turned back for Miami as well.

Three votes were in and we had lost track of Edelweiss. It was starting to look like a quorum. While things weren't getting any better, they didn't seem to be getting too much worse. Swingin' on a Star had matters well in hand and although the 88 pound Rocna tied down in the cockpit gave me constant concern every time we piled over a tall wave, it really didn't move much. We decided that we should finish the crossing. Keeping in constant contact with Rick and Allison on Meridian made us feel better about the whole process.

We logged our GPS position, course over ground, speed over ground, PSC heading, engine status, wind speed and direction as well as the barometer every half hour. This put an order about things and helped minimize the impact of the seas mayhem all around us. Plotting our track DR versus EP versus GPS fixed was an interesting review of how intense the Gulf Stream effect is.

I was looking forward to a noon sight (using the sextant to get your latitude from the sun) just for fun as I have never taken one on a vessel underway. The conditions made things a little too hectic and given that we were only going 50 miles I decided to forego the opportunity. It made me think of Shackleton and his contemporaries taking shots in hurricane conditions, what amazing navigators. I do need to practice the celestial stuff or I'm sure I will lose it. Celestial navigation is rarely used these days (given the cruisers I've met) but it is your only backup to GPS on a multi-day blue water passage.

As we settled into the constant rise and fall of the boat and howling of the wind we noticed that there were fish flying out of the waves. They would burst out of the side of a swell and then flap their fins as fast as they could, skip across another frothy wave or two and then disappear back into the foam. As I poked my head out from behind our wind screen to watch these little acrobats my hat flew out to join them. In the Santa Monica Bay this would have called for a man overboard drill, but I didn't hesitate to say goodbye to it on this particular day.

As we reached the halfway point it became clear that we would not make Gun Cay. Not without a big old tack into the flow of the Gulf Stream. We and Meridian were both just trying to get across as fast as possible. Bimini looked like the appropriate alternative.

We began to see large shipping traffic out in the open ocean at this point. I thought about how glad I was that we were crossing during the day. These huge behemoths plough through any sea state at 20+ knots, around the clock. As early afternoon came upon us we spotted a south bound freighter pinned to a constant heading off of our port bow. I would always give way to shipping without thinking twice in a channel, or anywhere else in settled conditions. This was a tough situation however. If we fell off we would pick up speed and take the sharp swell on the beam, not to mention potentially doing nothing to reduce the collision risk due to increased speed. Other maneuvers were going to be interesting in the 8 foot surf with almost 30 knots apparent. After a few moments it began to look as if we would naturally pass in front of them but the bearing wasn't changing fast enough at this distance to make us anything but concerned. In the end we would need to get out of the way if it looked problematic. We called out a securite on channel 16 to make sure they saw the sailboat out in front of them. Believe it or not the captain veered a bit to starboard to make the tracks cross a comfortable margin apart. We may have had to maneuver soon after to keep the safety margin wide if he hadn't been so courteous. In the conditions, double handing, any maneuver aboard our boat would have reduce the safety factor. It was the press of a button for him to cut the corner a little yet it was a wonderful gesture.

Cruisers like to quote the gross tonnage right of way rule, "he with the gross tonnage has the right of way". In this situation, by International Rules of the Road, the sailing vessel has the right of way over an unrestricted power vessel. That said there is no guarantee a freighter has anyone on watch (although they should) or that they even see you from their bridge 100 feet above the thrashing water. If you have a collision with one of these guys they probably wouldn't even notice. We have a radar reflector and VHF radio to get the attention of shipping traffic but other than that, getting out of the way is our problem.

As the day wore on the waves began to move farter apart and the odd ten footers gave way to consistent 6 to 7 footers. The wind came down into the 24 knot range and the sailing got more enjoyable. Hideko, who had never been seasick on a catamaran before had to stay on deck for the trip and took a Stugeron (great seasickness medicine that for some reason you can not get in the US). Roq laid around in the cockpit the whole way, seemingly unconcerned once he was sure that he was going with us. I took a Stugeron with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as we entered the Gulf Stream in the morning and other than being a little sleepy was fine the whole trip. It was interesting going below in these conditions of course. I especially recall going into one of the forward staterooms and watching the sea blasting by through the interior escape hatch. The hatch was under water a good bit of the time (don't leave these open when you head out for a sail!).

The day was bright and sunny. This does a lot to improve your spirits and safety on a wild passage. Darkness and rain make everything harder. I would much rather have fresh water on deck than salt, however. The salt water leaves a salty film that is slippery even when it dries. Everything forward of our cabin was wet, salty and slippery at this point. I bit the dust twice later in the day when accidentally stepping in a place where there was no non skid.

It was a bit after noon when we first spotted Bimini, a thin line of trees on the horizon. We were charging north of the little island but decided to shut down the sailing for the day once we reached the banks and motor our way back down south. We conferred with Meridian, who indicated we must be quite a bit ahead of them, both crews were too tired to run the full eight miles south to Gun, so we began looking for a Bimini anchorage on the charts.

Bimini has a harbor but the entrance is infamous. The charts show 5 feet in places. We only draw four foot seven or so but threading the needle was the last thing we wanted to do at this point. Though none of the other charts showed it, our Navionics electronic charts depicted an anchorage West of South Bimini in 10 feet of water. Close, sandy, shallow, fairly near shore but not too close, and no shoal water between us and it. What more could we ask for with the wind from the East?

As we motored down from the North toward the anchorage Meridian appeared on the horizon. To the South of us! They must have been using those demon boards of theirs to out point us because they had come in noticeably closer to the wind than we had. They were motor sailing but still surprised us with the time they made and the angle that they kept. We anchored and watched Meridian come in as we secured the boat and deployed the dinghy. It was only 3:30 in the afternoon when we were fully at rest. While we set about putting the boat away a familiar voice came over the radio, "Swingin on a Star, this is Edelweiss". A cheer went up.

The big mono hull had seen its crew safely across the Gulf Stream and they were motor sailing onto the horizon. We talked them into the anchorage where they happily set the hook. Unfortunately we hadn't done them a favor, more on this later.

I figured since we were here and it wasn't 5PM yet, we might as well try to clear in. I got the ships papers together and stopped by Meridian, to see if they wanted a ride in. They were already in sundowner mode! Lowell on Edelweiss was game however and within seconds of securing the anchor he hopped into the dinghy and we set off for North Bimini. It was 4:30 in the afternoon and the Bahamians are not known for staying at the office late. As we headed into the harbor we noticed that the new channel we had heard tales of was indeed in place. Ten feet deep or more all the way in and a fairly short shot from open water with a 90 degree turn to port in front of the beach just outside the harbor. Much better than the nightmare approach you read about in the cruising guides and charts.

Both Lowell and I were facing our first clear in experience. As we trolled into the harbor, trying to remember exactly where and what customs was supposed to look like, I saw a big pink building with a gnarly looking concrete dock out front. A dock guaranteed to ding up anything tied to it and a bright pink building, must be customs right? It was. We went ashore after paying a strange Biminite $2 for tying up our dink (which he insisted on somewhat forcibly). The immigration process was a breeze and the folks were very nice. It is $300 for the typical cruising boat permit and that includes your fishing permit. In my singular experience, Bimini is a great and fast place to clear in. Make sure to bring the serial number of any guns with you, along with the boat documentation and passports. As we walked back to the dinghy a couple of folks out front said, "Hey where are you going?" Worried that we were going to have to pay another $2 for something we responded hesitantly. "You have to clear customs mon!" Oh, that.

This clearing in bit is a two step process. The boat was in the country but apparently we weren't yet. When we went into customs (the other place was immigration) they asked us where the rest of the people were. "On the ship!" Obviously you can't clear customs if you're not at customs but everything we had both read indicated that only the captain could go ashore until you had cleared in. Well apparently the loose interpretation is that everyone comes ashore and sits around waiting for the captain to fill out forms, and then you all go through customs. So we just took the forms and went back to the boat to finish up the process the next day. Customs was also great, no funny fees, nice people, and all parties very understanding of two newbies who didn't really have the process down.

We motored back as the sun set over the ocean ahead with our boats anchored in the foreground. I have often questioned our decision to purchase a large cruising boat and a catamaran at that. After our Gulf Stream crossing, those questions are now gone. Our boat has the speed and size to make some fairly nasty stuff a non issue. Everything is heavier, bigger and more expensive, but that is not always a bad thing.

The Bahamas

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved