Bookmark and Share
Swingin' on a Star
Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".
Crossing the Great Bahama Bank
12/13/2006, The Banks

We are fair weather sailors. The problem is that fair weather doesn't always come from the right direction. We had been waiting, enjoying, but waiting, in Bimini for over a week for something we could sail into the Berrys with. My most recent 7 day outlook combined with the NOAA Offshore Forecast had me convinced that if we didn't reduce our weather requirements we would be in Bimini for some time. This time of year fronts tend to show up about every three to four days. Fronts can be squally with high speed wind gusts, rain and overcast skies. Not fun to sail in. On the other hand, fronts create a break in the ever present Easterly trades. You can ride the clocking wind in front of the front, or you can take the north east wind behind the front. The week we were in Bimini both of these types of opportunities came along but always with 20 knots plus and big seas. Big seas translates to "choppy and no fun to anchor in" on the banks.

Needing to get to Nassau by around the 20th and wanting to get some time in cruising the Berrys before that, we needed to find a window within a week. We selected the lesser of evils within the 7 day forecast, a diminishing East wind with reasonable seas. The wind doesn't always blow your way, that's why the lord gave us motors. We were heading from Bimini around North Rock to Bullocks Harbor on Great Harbor Cay. All in all it was about an 80 mile jump. We left before first light in order to ensure that we could make the entire run in daylight. We rounded the North shore of Bimini at about 7AM with a spectacular sunrise in the East and didn't even bother raising the main. The wind was coming from 92 degrees and we were heading 92 degrees. The banks were choppy and it was a rough ride but Swingin' on a Star did over 8 knots the entire way. She would have done more if asked but the crew could only take so much of the seas on the nose so we settled in at 8.

It was a pretty eventless trip. We did a small service on both diesels before leaving Bimini, emptying quite a bit of water from the Starboard Racor. Everything ran smooth for the 10 hours we motored. We did see two skiffs (small open boats with an outboard) 20 miles from anywhere. We wondered how they got out there and how they were going to get back. Each had two guys aboard, one on the motor and one in a wet suit standing on the bow. Later Steve on Shanty informed us that they were probably Lobster hunting and were likely working from a larger boat anchored on the banks.

We hit the Bullocks Harbor way point at 4PM as planned and made our way to the anchorage just south of the entrance to the Great Harbor Cay Harbor. Hideko and I got greedy and went way too far into a long shallow grassy bottomed shelf. We were trying to get right up on this nice white sand beach. We ended up anchored with about an inch of water under the keel at low tide. Some would say that's perfect other would say something else. I was a little concerned about getting out later.

It was our first time using the Rocna. It was overcast all afternoon and started to sprinkle while we were anchoring. The Rocna took a while to set in the tough grassy bottom (one of the less preferable bottom types to anchor in). We had to back down quite a ways before the anchor finally bit. Once set it held like a champ all night in fairly strong winds. The water was beautiful so we ran the water maker for three hours to fill the tanks up a bit. Our Spectra Newport 400 was making 15 gallons an hour in the clear water.

This was our longest passage yet and all motoring into the wind at that. After the Gulf Stream crossing this was not such a big deal but still tiring. Roq, however, managed to sleep the whole way. Once we were settled at anchor Hideko cooked up a nice warm meal and we both hit the hay early.

The Bahamas
Last Day in Bimini
12/12/2006, Bimini

We had been enjoying Bimini for a while because the weather has not been favorable for crossing the Banks. It looks like finally tomorrow will be the day we will sail (er, motor) to the Berrys. We had made a new batch of friends in Bimini and many of them are planning to leave tomorrow as well.

We scheduled the day before our crossing for diesel maintenance and we wanted to get the work over with early in the day so that we could relax later in the day. We spent a good part of the day saying goodbye to new friends and didn't wrap up maintenance until three o'clock or so. We wanted to go to the beach one last time before sunset. The crew of Side by Side, a Manta catamaran in the harbor, was out on the beach, so we joined them for some relaxation. The water was too cold for Randy and I (26 centigrade) so we stayed on the sand and watched the kids create an obstacle course for their hermit crabs.

We got on the computers at the Ministry of Tourism for some Internet access (first time since FL other than SailMail) right at the end of the day. The folks there knew of a gentleman in Baileytown who was making bread so we were able to pick up two loaves of Bimini bread before we left. Now we had really done Bimini right!

The Bahamas
BaTelCo (BTC)
12/11/2006, Bimini

We went to the BTC (Bahamian Telephone Company) today to try to get a cell phone working and lo and behold they were having a massive party with all of Bimini in attendance. They had a Junkanoo band, food and all. Stevie S. sang songs about Bimini and the CEO of BTC introduced their brand new GSM and Blackberry services on Bimini. Just in time for me to enable my GSM phone! Now if I can just find a charger...

The Bahamas
12/10/2006, The Galley

So what is there to do when you are on a small island for one week? Read? Sure. But how about baking bread?! I have wanted to bake French Baguettes from scratch for quite some time and now I have all the time in the world.

It took me a day and half following a recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. What was not included in the recipe though was patience. I had to wait overnight for the first fermentation and then hours of waiting for proofing (secondary or final fermentation) on the second day. The three baguette loaves turned out to be pretty good regardless of having a small boat oven and not much control over fermentation temperature. I had the idea of selling bread as a hobby in crowded anchorages in the future. To break even I would have to sell bread for way more money than you can buy the famous Bimini bread. My conclusion: I will keep baking as a hobby. Later, Ellen on Eryne, a French Canadian cruiser, told me that she had a bread recipe that took only an hour and a half! I better get that recipe!

The Bahamas
12/28/2006 | yukiko matsuzawa
ganbare hikochan! sonouchini panwo gochishouni narimasu. mama
Bimini Casino and Resort
12/09/2006, North Bimini

Even in the Bahamas, winter exists. Last night we had another cold front come our way and had wind blowing over 20 knots. You could hear the wind all night long. This weather will continue until the beginning of next week so we will be here in Bimini for a while. At least the temperature never goes below 70.

Randy and I rented a golf cart yesterday and explored the entire island. We had a lot of fun investigating the tide pools in the reefs and sand at the North point. We also took a look at the huge new casino/marina/resort/condo complex going in at the North end of the harbor. When the construction is done, it should bring additional business and jobs to the island. It will be very nice if they can keep the channel clear all the way up there too.

Bimini has seen a lot of changes over the last year. The Complete Angler, famous Hemingway hangout with lots of memorabilia, burned down last year, taking the son of the owner and all of the tradition with it. The Chalks seaplane port is now closed because a plane crashed last year killing several residents. On the positive side the drug runners were gone as far as we could tell due to the Bahamian partnership with the USCG and the new channel is a blessing to all boats interested in entering the harbor. Who knows, maybe the marinas will even have Wifi access to the Internet by next year with all of this BTC activity.

The Bahamas
12/08/2006, Bimini

We are getting one front after another here. The winds have been north-ish at over 20 knots for a few days and are planning to stay that way until Monday.

A group of young hard core exchange students from Germany were sailing and diving Bimini in a 50 foot mono hull over the past few days. It looked like they were having a lot of fun. They were planning to head back to Fort Lauderdale with a broken VHF radio tonight. NWS predicted winds 25-30 knots from the North with gusts to Gale force and seas over 20 feet. I hate to butt into other people's business, but I walked over and handed the skipper a weather print out anyway, just to make sure that he knew what was going on out there. I was glad to see that they stayed the night at the dock. They did leave early the next morning though, which was only a little better. On the plus side they had their VHF working at that point.

The Bahamas

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs

copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved