Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Fishing off of Great Exuma

19 January 2007 | Fowel Cay
Randy
There's a lot of confusion regarding where you can and can't fish in the Great Exuma area. Explorer charts from 2003 show a very large park covering all waters south of Volleyball Beach from the Great Exuma shore out to 50 meters. This would make the outside reefs around the southern cuts and the Fowl Cay area all off limits. These spots are where most of the cruisers go to spear fish. After about a week of trying to get the real skinny I have come to believe that you may not spear fish anywhere in the Elizabeth Harbor. A larger park was planned but various private interests on Stocking island seem to have gotten in the way of the park being finalized. Thus spear fishing outside of the harbor is acceptable. Nassau grouper are out of season until March everywhere.

John aboard Freebird, a Lagoon 42, stopped by last night to invite me to go hunting Lobster with Steve from Shanty and George from another boat off of Volleyball beach. Alex joined us and we headed out at about 8AM. We tried some shallower spots around the outlying rocks past Fowl Cay but no luck. Alex found a medium lobster at the second spot we tried but the rest of us were skunked as John put it. Alex had to head back so John and I tried some rocky spots North of Elizabeth island and again nothing but the skunk.

We headed back in through the cut between Elizibeth and Stocking islands. It was half tide and the cut was breaking so it was pretty interesting coming back in. John is an expert dinghy pilot so it was an easy shot back to the boats. I had originally though that Freebird was an older Privilege due to the general shape and Battyline window covers. It was the first older Lagoon (pre the vertical windows) I had seen up close. It is a nice boat and looks a bit stronger than the newer models.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved