Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Princess Margaret Beach

21 July 2007 | Bequia
Randy
It was a busy day yesterday so we slept in a bit today. Or tried. At 8AM I heard a knocking on the hull. There's no one on deck and no one in the saloon. I'm sure who ever it is will go away. More knocking. Persistent bugger, pull sheet over head. More knocking. Argh, perhaps it is really important.

I got up got dressed and went out to see what the emergency was. Lo and behold a glorified boat boy. This one was Bequia style, not wearing a loin cloth and paddling out on a surf board, but wearing a polo shirt and standing up in a 17 foot skiff with an outboard. He began to explain his services to me and I thanked him and told him we were not interested. After a few more attempts to sway me met with clear no thank yous he departed pleasantly. I wonder what he would have said to me if I had come to his house at 8 in the morning and knocked on the door for ten minutes until someone answered just to try to sell him some aluminum siding?

Later in the morning we took Little Star to the dinghy dock just north of the government pier and, after a one block walk, had another no hassle clearance at Bequea customs. Hideko and I walked around town afterward and found a really interesting bookstore. The shop was filled with Caribbean literature. They had Caribbean fiction, lots of history, books on politics and anything else you could think of.

Just behind the book shop is a juice bar. We stopped to talk to the proprietor who was a friendly lady from Saint Vincent. She gave us a sample of some fresh squeezed juices and we were sold. We had a guava and a sour sop juice. Sour Sop is kind of a funky mushy sort of fruit. I can't quite get used to eating it straight. As a juice it was awesome. The owner of the juice bar told us that you could get Sour Sop ice cream too but we have yet to find it.

We joined Fred and Cindy for lunch at a new beach bar and restaurant at the east end of Princess Margaret beach. We spent the rest of the day snorkeling on the reef right by our boats. It was good to be back in the islands. I'm getting to the point where the big islands feel like the mainland. The grenadines are more Bahamas/BVI in character. If I can't hike to the other side it is too continental. Humm.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved