Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Wind Surfing Lessons

29 December 2007 | Pigeon Point
Randy
We returned our rental car today and tried the pancake house for breakfast. Jeremy at the rental car place dropped us off which was nice of him. The food at the pancake house was good but service was subject to Caribbean speed and accuracy. Order a berry smoothie, get a banana smoothie, but hey as long as what you get is tasty you're ahead of the game.

After walking back to the beach we moved the big boat up the coast a little to Pigeon point. Pigeon point is one of those anchorages behind a reef that looks wide open but is really pretty settled. You can't get greedy though, if you try to move in all the way to the north east you'll drop anchor in shallow sand over rock. Most of the time this anchorage is much less rolly than Store Bay.

The Pigeon Point is a park and coming from land you have to pay $3 US to get in. If you're on a yacht and land your dinghy on the beach you may have to pay or you may not. Seems to depend on who's on patrol. One guy told us we didn't need to pay when we dinghy in and another guy told us to pay.

There are a number of establishments back in the palms including shops near the entrance, a SCUBA outfit, a dock where the glass bottom boats shuttle folks back and forth to the reef, a fast food and bar area, a proper sit down restaurant and a water sports shack. The water sports folks rent wind surfers and kite board set ups as well as lessons.

Stian and Tina were enjoying the beach when we got there and had their new wind surfer all set up. Stian had bought the wind surfer in Chagarams right before he left for $25 US, not a bad deal! The mast is a little short for the sail but otherwise it is great. Stian spent some time teaching Hideko and I how to get going. It was a lot of fun falling into the water over and over but I think we'll need a day on a starter rig to get going.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved