Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

First Dive

16 February 2008 | Windsock
Randy
The license plates here say Diver's Paradise. I must agree. The entire island is surrounded by a spectacular reef. The government seems well aware that this is perhaps the islands number one stock in trade.

Bonaire is a very environmentally conscious principality. No anchoring is allowed anywhere and they encourage environmentally friendly practices at every turn.

While you could probably jump in the water anywhere and go for a great dive they have established named dive sites all up and down the western coast of the island. They have also ensured that you have beach access to almost all of them.

The standard Bonaire dive trip involves renting a pickup with a tank rack in the back and diving your heart out. Any of the dive shops will swap your tanks out as fast as you can use them. You really don't need a boat unless your headed for Klien Bonaire or the rough east side.

On the down side if you like to dive off of your yacht you can only do so in the overnight yacht mooring field between town and the Harbor Village Marina. This is nothing to scoff at but there are a lot of great dive sites out of reach. You can only tie up boats under 36 feet in length on the dive mooring while diving.

We still had our beater van and the crew was ready to go diving. After checking over the free dive site guide we received at check in we decided to dive Windsock. Mom had been studying for her first dive and was ready to give it a try as well.

Once on the beach Pops watched the gear and the rest of us got the dive equipment ready. It was a nice little beach dive with easy access as the book said. Unfortunately for Mom is was not as flat as I had hoped when we got in to practice her basic SCUBA skills. Mom was a trouper though and completed all of the discover SCUBA skills and then went for a tour of the area.

It was a nice first dive but the last Mom would be able to get in due to her flight home coming up. We had a nice ride back to the marina talking about our first Bonaire dive and a good meal at the Argentinean restaurant next to the marina office.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved